The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The fuel crisis in perspective > Comments

The fuel crisis in perspective : Comments

By Ben Rees, published 9/11/2005

Ben Rees argues that Australia is not prepared for another fuel crisis.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Good piece but two points that should be noted as improving our capacity to handle another fuel crisis are;
1 The increased volume and value of energy (coal) exports that will offset the adverse impacts of energy price increases, and
2 The economy as a whole is less energy dependent than it was in the 70's and 80's so the flow through effects will be less.
And one might also suggest that a fairly robust market in home grown biodiesel might also develop if fuel prices continue to rise.
Posted by Perseus, Wednesday, 9 November 2005 3:54:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Briefly, I'd disagree that the economy is more fragile, it's much more flexible and able to adapt to changing circumstances than it was 15-35 years ago. If this doesn't apply so much to the rural sector, it's because of ongoing misguided attempts to maintain non-viable small farmers.

And as an aside, I note that "Ben Rees ... is currently involved in a QUT sugar industry programme." I hope that that program promotes the complete withdrawal of protection, subsidies and other support from the industry, and recommends that ethanol should be an issue purely for markets, not for government (except for taxing it like competing fuels to encourage economically efficient choices).
Posted by Faustino, Friday, 11 November 2005 8:25:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy