The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Challenging the role of corporations in society > Comments

Challenging the role of corporations in society : Comments

By John McFarlane, published 16/9/2005

John McFarlane examines the inadequacy of concentrating on a company's financial reports alone

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Alchemist “Sadly it is people like you that have contributed, encouraged and hastened the decline of all these environments for the almighty dollar.”

Oh really – now lets us think about this

Why are their very few travel agents selling flight tickets for hydrogen filled airships and why are their only about 12 return trips across the Atlantic by sea pa when their used to be around 50 ships plying the trade 70 years ago?
Why are their very few manufacturers of valve radios?
Why is it the craft of “Thatching” has experienced a significant decline?
Why are their very few jobs for gas mantel packers?
Why did "cropping" die out as a craft and the luddites try to smash mechanically operated machines?
Why do printers no longer use the exact same model printing press as employed by Gutenberg?

Simple - Because someone found a “better way” which (to use your words) “contributed, encouraged and hastened the decline of all these environments for the almighty dollar.”

So far from being “unsustainable” what Mr McFarlane has suggested, what I agreed with and what you are “ranting” against is not only “sustainable” it is “inevitable”.
What is “unsustainable” is your notion of fixed structures and references – like the luddites (and as Canute tried to teach his court), you cannot and will not hold back the tides of change which continually wash across our feet.

As for your 4 types of “customer” – entrepreneurial opportunity encourages entrepreneurial adventure. The “customers” who have been abandoned by banks will ultimately negotiate with a supplier for banking type services. This is why I could never understand why banks did not organise the retention of their customers better – damn stupidest strategy anyone could adopt – unless the “staff culture” was so entrenched and intransigent that the only way to progress was to consolidate services and retreat from the market. The decline of Banks involvement has facilitated the growth in mortgage broking.

All the "illusions" are yours. The only "certainty" is "change" - get used to it.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 20 September 2005 11:39:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
COL SAID: Considering that 90% of all business ventures fail in their first 5 years and 90% of the remainder within the next 5 years

RESPONSE: This is simply untrue. I refer to page 49 of the following report:-

http://www.pc.gov.au/research/staffres/bfacaap/bfacaap.pdf

Col implies that 99% of business fail within two years. This is way off the mark.

According to the data presented on page 49 of the report:-

34.6% of businesses started will fail in the first 5 years.
55.0% of businesses started will fail in the first 10 years.

In other words:-

34.6% fail in the first 5 years and of those remaining 16% fail in the next 5 years.

At least that is what the Australian data says
Posted by Terje, Friday, 23 September 2005 8:43:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Col it appears that you have no understanding of the world, why ask silly questions relating to past practise when no one mentions it. By what you write, you have no idea what change means, for you it is the same approach, destroy the environment, disenfranchise, and enslave the people.

Change is inevitable, but people like you, the rich elite, beaurucrats, Politicians and academics, live in a world of total illusion. Change means improvement from what we have, not a continuum of what corporations want, or a return to the past as you envisage.

Corporations have but one desire, profit at any cost. We see this with banks and the corporate monopolies that are taking over our country.

The Rouges and Mc Farlanes of the world think it is great that the people are bled to feed the elite and rape the land, when do they ever implement change, that enhances things rather than degrade them.

Our world revolves around economics, an unsustainable illusion. It is corporations that reject change unless it is all to their bottom line advantage. They neglect technologies that would improve our lives and the environment.

Col, if you ever leave your comfort zone of the polluted disgusting crime filled debauched cities and see the real world form outside your air conditioned fuel guzzling mobile coffin, you may actually see the world in reality. But then again you and your ilk, are afraid of reality, as it shows that your world and approach aren't real, but just a passing demonic phase of history.

It is a historical fact, that when societies get to the point where they are controlled by small percentage ruling elite, they collapse and the ruling elite is exterminated. Many believe that we are at that point. But don't worry Col and John, your all so blind that you won't see it until it hits you full on.
Posted by The alchemist, Saturday, 24 September 2005 8:00:25 AM
Alchemist “Col it appears that you have no understanding of the world,”

Don’t bother with that garbage I have been self employed for over 20 years and own a number of businesses, as well as having lived on 3 continents. Claim whatever you want, you will always lack the experience and expose to different societies cultures and business decision making environments which I have known.

“Change is inevitable, but people like you, the rich elite, beaurucrats, Politicians and academics, live in a world of total illusion.”

You are simply ranting against the best system of economic organisation – Stalin & Co are proven failures.

“The Rouges and Mc Farlanes of the world think it is great that the people are bled to feed the elite and rape the land.”

More ranting and no substance – easy to foam at the mouth (like a rabid dog) however lacking in debating points.

Get this straight – regardless of your asinine view, Mr McFarlane and I both have the same rights as you – that we understand more than you is a matter of your inferiority and unsuitability for greater things.

“Col, if you ever leave your comfort zone of the polluted disgusting crime filled debauched cities “

Choke on the fumes all you like – you offer nothing of merit – just envy and the small minded views of the intellectually limited and insignificant.

When you have an opinion to contribute – please provide it – until then – keep your envious and ineffectual ranting to yourself – remember for every one like you – there are a lot more like me – and lets face it, skill-wise, we have you beat, we know how to work, get results and achieve. All you seem to know is how to rant (and probably wait for your dole cheque).

Finally Re ruling elite don’t hold your breath

Terje the observation I used is well accepted whilst I would not dispute your data the definitions of a business might leave some testing, many “businesses” exist as sole-traders who do not incorporate of go bankrupt.
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 25 September 2005 9:15:28 AM
Col, it is extremely difficult to answer someone that is so knowledgeable abut someone they don't know. Sadly, you get it wrong about me in all your statements.

Your deep seated lack of confidence and fear show through in all your posts, leading you to lose sight of reality and what life represents.

I am too old to get the dole, to well off and still working, approach my business in a sustainable way, both economically and environmentally.

Unlike you I have only been a business owner for 40 years, so wouldn't have the understanding that you have. My businesses, are energy self sufficient, my income when I take it, is 20% above the highest paid manager. Our employees receive not only an excellent wage, but also profits of the company. Our customer base is worldwide.

It is greed that is the problem and I stick by what I said previously. By your attitude col, you reiterate my post, no thought for anyone but yourself. Just determined to stick to useless technologies and ways of life. Unable to see beyond the dollar and grasp the future in a positive way.

Why people like you and McFarlane can”t see beyond the 4 walls that surround you, is the reason we have so much negativity to look forward to. If you can' see that our environmental, economic, social and health systems are collapsing, then your economies of scale are very deficient.

My life and business relies on technology for it to function, what that has to do with communism is beyond me. But I can understand how fear and ignorance can lead people into fantasy. Technology, is what can either save us or destroy us, pity you appear aligned with the latter.

With regard to being a rabid dog, you are probably looking in a mirror, as the image you reflect, seems to be getting control of you. But I note a growing trend in that direction in a lot of businesses today, particularily large corporations. At least it shows us what we are up against
Posted by The alchemist, Monday, 26 September 2005 10:58:46 AM
Alchemist wrote
Post 1
“Col it appears that you have no understanding of the world, why ask silly questions relating to past practise when no one mentions it. By what you write, you have no idea what change means, for you it is the same approach, destroy the environment, disenfranchise, and enslave the people.

Change is inevitable, but people like you, the rich elite, beaurucrats, Politicians and academics, live in a world of total illusion. Change means improvement from what we have, not a continuum of what corporations want, or a return to the past as you envisage.”

Following my response, alchemist then wrote

Post 2

“Col, it is extremely difficult to answer someone that is so knowledgeable about someone they don't know”

from your post 1 - you had no knowledge of my credentials, capacities, life experiences or circumstances when you claimed I had, to use your words

“no understanding of the world”

With such ignorance in mind, you now suggest it is “extremely difficult to answer someone that is so knowledgeable abut someone they don't know.”

I suggest you remember that such statements make evident the hypocrisy at the heart of your posts.

Now suggesting that I am “Unable to see beyond the dollar and grasp the future in a positive way”

maybe you can justify such a statement by reference to posts in which I have made “the dollar” the focal point of anything! or is that just another example of your own “rabidity” at work?

As said I have before – the joint stock company is the best method of organising commercial resources, capital, risk and entrepreneurial skill. That is why the communist block countries failed economically and why the “Western Democracies” prevail.
The nature of JSC’s is not “perfect” (no venture involving “risk” can ever be “infallible”) but, like most things in life (and from my humble, yet, according to alchemist, “entirely non-existent experience of the world”) very few things are “perfect”.

Just like 'World Best Practice' whilst a well known expression, in no way assumes “perfection”
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 26 September 2005 5:05:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy