The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sports stars are role models, whichever way you spin it > Comments

Sports stars are role models, whichever way you spin it : Comments

By Roger Patching, published 19/9/2005

Roger Patching argues outstanding sporting ability doesn't exempt sports stars from good behaviour.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
While outstanding sporting skills does not exempt them from good behaviour it certainly does not impose on them a higher standard of conduct. As a group the most outstanding charactersitic in many instances is the amount many get paid and the celebrity affroded them. But really there are only three classes of sporting elite - the average ones who simply go about their business, the stupid ones who are regularly caught being stupid, and then there are those who have not been caught yet.

Patching closes on the point of forgiveness - as if their transgressions might count for something - many of us do not care what they do on or off the field; if it is legally wrong punish them. Incarcerate them when needs be. if it is morally wrong - we'll thats their problem I guess may be god will be the judge in the great tribuanl in the sky.

Their folly needs to pointed out to them and to those others who fawn after them.If you have the energy tell them point out to them that they are mere sideshows to the main game. For some strange reason with prominence comes some kind of wierd credibility that is manifested in journalissts, commentators and the sporting elite
We have contructed these artificial heroes, we sustain them and we pay them - a bit like politicians we get the ones we deserve. I dont want my kids to think much of them at all.
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 20 September 2005 11:03:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article. I think Patching has hit the nail on the head. I think, however, that they can be forgiven but their actions should not be forgotten. Should Shane Warne ever get the Australian captaincy? On his cricketing ability - yes. For his off-field indiscretions - no. The bigger picture should always come to the fore. What message is there if he is given the job and his off-field behaviour swept under the carpet? It says that as long as you can win games, you can do whatever you like.
Posted by frat, Tuesday, 20 September 2005 2:47:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy