The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Strengthening official opposition to death penalties > Comments

Strengthening official opposition to death penalties : Comments

By Tony Smith, published 9/9/2005

Tony Smith argues Australia must convey its disapproval to any foreign government that executes criminals.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
To Lisamarie. Your assertion that crime has nothing to do with ethnicity is wrong

Ethnic criminal behaviour has become so bad in Australia that in 1993, ethnic organisations successfully lobbied the federal Government to prevent the Australian Bureau of Statistics from keeping or analysing any data related to ethnic crime. The only information the ABS was allowed to examine was “prisoner ratios by country of birth.”

The ABS publication (4517.0, “Prisoners in Australia”, 26th March 2002), clearly displays that has figures showing that there are indeed very wide differences in incarceration rates from people born in different countries. These differentials are not in the order of a few percent, they are in the order of hundreds of a percent. For example, people born in Romania are 26 times more likely to be jailed than people born in India. I think that you would agree that this is a very significant difference and one which can not be brushed aside by any presumed statistical anomaly. Romanian crime in Victoria has become so bad that the Victorian Police has created a “Romanian Squad” to keep track of the legions of Romanian criminals now roaming our streets and preying upon OUR Australian community. Similarly, the Vietnamese suburb of Cabramatta is notorious as the heroin capitol of Australia.

But some ethnic immigrant groups (ie, Japanese and Danes) are so law abiding that they do not even appear as prisoners at the time of the ABS report.

The USA is a lot less politically correct when keeping crime statistics than we. They do note ethnicity. The incarceration rate for African Americans in 1993 was 1,497 per 100,000. For Hispanic Americans it was 529. For “white” Americans it was 306 and for Japanese Americans it was only 36.

Whether you like it or not, some ethnic groups plainly make much better immigrants than other ethnic groups. Unless we wish to see our $32 billion dollar a year crime bill continue to rise, we must become more discriminating over who we allow to immigrate here.
Posted by redneck, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 4:49:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
‘…that I can throw your wishful thinking right back in your face.’
Wow, someone’s getting cranky! Maybe it’s time for a nap.

How did we get on to ‘ethnic crime’ anyway? Weren’t we on a more philosophical topic, that being the necessity of violence in modern society? I liked that one better, less appallingly offensive.

Now first of all, I’m fairly sure someone’s skin pigment and brow-ridge is not the determining factor in their criminal behaviour, which is really all ethnicity is (everything else is cultural). Secondly, as I said before, you’re talking about one state, which to me says a lot more about the culture and social issues within NSW then it does about ‘ethnic crime’. We need to be looking at the causes of this sort of crime, not blaming an entire group of people.

And what right do you have to claim any sort of ownership of this land, and decide who’s allowed and who isn’t? Aside from the Aboriginal population, we are ALL immigrants. If you don’t like the state of the country, fine, go back to where YOU came from.

And by the way, I never said poverty ACTUALLY causes crime. I was using it as an example as to why it’s not right to lump people into categories as you do. I could just have easily said ‘people with messy hair’. I chose poverty arbitrarily. So you wasted a paragraph there.

‘And thank you, my figures do indeed back up my racist attitudes. They also happen to be true.’
Yep, and there’s no other statistics in the world that may suggest otherwise, right? Oops! You agreed to being racist, which means a rational debate isn’t possible, which means I’m not going to bother anymore! Take care, red.
Posted by spendocrat, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 9:37:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
sneekeepete "Capitol punishment is morally wrong: "

After protesting about my comment regarding his spelling, sneekeepete comes out with the above.

'Pete invest in a spell checker - you are seriously in need of it

The only form of "Capitol punishment" I can think of is being forced to listen to old Max Bygraves ballards (pressuming he was with Capitol Records).

As for the rest of your impersonation of the barely lucid - I will not dignify your view with a response.

But for other posters with a view on this matter -

The point with the death penalty - some crimes are committed and are so heinous they "deserve" the perpetrator's death.

Prison should be about reform.
Prison should be about rehabilitation.

Second offence Drug Dealers and vicious socio / psycho-pathic murderers do not reform and cannot be rehabilitated.

Not just for their crimes but for the contempt they have displayed for their fellow citizens, they deserve the ultimate punishment.

"Death" just happens to be it!
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 12:39:59 PM
Hi Col Rouge. It looks like both Sneaky Peter and Spendocrat have both spat the dummy out and did the runner. I have always been amused at how the people who consider themselves morally and politically superior to everyone else go to jelly when confronted by an uneducated redneck who knows how to think in practical concepts.

You may not know that when Malaysia executed Barlow and Chambers for heroin trafficking, it instituted an immediate drought of heroin in Australia and God knows how many lives were saved because of it.

Similarly, when two home invaders were shot dead in Brisbane in separate incidents 10 years ago by irate home owners, the offence of "Breaking and Entering" practically disappeared in Brisbane for weeks afterwards.

Personally, I hope that the "Bali 9" are all lined up and shot. Heroin deaths each year in this country has reached 1000 persons a year, with an unknown number of other deaths related to heroin and methadone. I find it incredible that any civilised country can demand that it soldiers should throw away their young lives defending that nation against it's external enemies, and then that society does not have the stomach to end the worthless lives of it's most dangerous internal enemies.
Posted by redneck, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 6:07:25 PM
Oops, sorry red, my apologies, I apparently wasn't clear. I'm not leaving this thread because I 'turned to jelly', or 'spat the dummy', no, no, don't misunderstand me! I'm leaving the thread because it's completely pointless debating with an irrational racist fool. I hope this clears things up, sorry about the mix up there.

Peace
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 29 September 2005 9:41:34 AM
Redneck – “Hi Col Rouge. It looks like both Sneaky Peter and Spendocrat have both spat the dummy out and did the runner. “

yes the pretentious know-alls of supposed “education”, yet seriously deficient experience, have the inside track on telling the rest of us how we should think, feel and snap to attention at their whim

It reminds me of how Latham spat the dummy when we did not fall prostate before his mighty ego and self anointed omnipotence. Darn it how many arms are pointlessly busted and reputations vilified in pursuit of his career aspirations – when he throws everything away so easily – obviously totally deficient in stamina, courage and character.

When the wannabes come along high on self righteous opinion but unable to present “reasoned argument” they prove they are not worth spit.

Spendocrat “its completely pointless debating with an irrational racist fool.”

At the risk of repeating myself – that is the response of those “obviously totally deficient in stamina, courage and character.”
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 29 September 2005 12:59:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy