The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Affluenza: The new illness in Australia? > Comments

Affluenza: The new illness in Australia? : Comments

By Clive Hamilton, published 1/8/2005

Clive Hamilton examines the Australian dream and why so many are doing it tough.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
The term "conspicuous consumption" was invented over 100 years ago so it is hardly a new phenomenon, however it seems that in the last 40 or so years it has become a pandemic affecting almost all of us. It is ingrained in society, and the economies of the developed world are now almost totally depedent on it for their growth and prosperity. Much of our scientific and material progress has been driven by the desire to consume ever more and better, and so at least there are some positive side affects of affluenza. The question I have is how do we cure society of the disease without killing the driving force behind it ?
Posted by AndrewM, Monday, 1 August 2005 8:53:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Affluenza: The new illness in Australia"

One of the good things about living in a democracy is - we do not have to care what the "jones" have or need to keep up with them.

Equally we do not care what the Jones think of any supposed displays of ostentatious on our part.

"Affluence" is not an illness -
Considering other peoples "affluence" and questioning their right to display it is far more sickening and sounds to me like an overindulgence in envy and sour grapes.

Now - back to the stainless steel BBQ whilst I decide which investment properties to buy down on the coast.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 9:41:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perseus:

I happened to reside on a Canal on the Gold Coast, and your shot about the sharks is baloney. Trouble is too many wannabees never tire at criticising the 'affluent' of their unhappiness, smugness, flamboyancy, and a plethora of less descriminating invectives **XX ?? which I find quite disconcerting.
My husband and sibling row and paddle out each morning in the Canal, and have never come across anything resembling a Bull Shark, shovel-nose or wobbygong that journalist love publishing about. The small incident two years ago where our neighbour drowned after being bitten by one caused undue alarm and sensationalism - which cast a poor impression of the area as a whole. The Fisheries Dept laid baits and subsequently gaffed 3 - meter long Bulls, which may not have been the culprit in this ongoing saga.
Council are so adamant no sharks exist, they have NOT erected signage to alarm visitors and tourist to forego bathing or frolicking in 'those' waters ! Need convincing ?
As for Affluengentcia, the display of wealth is capriciousness and blase. Having 3 cars in the garage, a canal walkaway to berth the Family Cruiser, and a swimming pool overlooking the canal may be what many 'battler's' from suburbia envy - reality check, it's an atypical myth. The majority of Canal owners bought their properties 15/20 years ago - some cant even pay their Rates. Some have troubles paying off the mortgages. They are no different than the rest of Oz. Have a happy Day mate.
Posted by dalma, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 2:40:48 PM
Overconsumption of 'have to have' items is undermining our national economy. While there may be a number of benefits to retailers, the sad fact is that nearly all of these consumables - from DVD players to fancy mountain bikes, bbqs and luxury cars - are produced overseas. The massive trade imbalances we have with countries like China is the cause of our growing foreign national debt (more than 50% of GDP).

Apparently Australians have contracted the 'affluenza' bug more than most: we spend $107 for every $100 we earn. Surely this kind of 'plastic' economic growth is unsustainable.
Posted by TimM, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 5:10:01 PM
TimM

You are probably right and I wouldn't give up my CD collection for anything. Somewhat partial to my PC as well.

At least I don't own a car/4WD/Plasma TV. I didn't even know you could spend $7000 on a BBQ - what does it do? The washing up?

Have a feeling reality is gonna catch up with we the aspirationally affluent. Just so long as I get to keep my CD's and something to play them in of course.
Posted by Xena, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 5:36:31 PM
Those interested in "cross-dressing" might like to tune in to the later article entitled "Its the best of times, but the party's peaked" for comments that are also pertinent to "Affluenza".
Posted by colinsett, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 8:26:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy