The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Corby highlights our lingering 'White Australia' sentiment > Comments

Corby highlights our lingering 'White Australia' sentiment : Comments

By Chek Ling, published 5/7/2005

Chek Ling argues the Corby case has shown Australians have double standards when it comes to dealing with Asians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. All
If concern about the Corby issue is really about race, then 'please explain' the lack of concern for the Bali nine. Most of them were white, but I suppose Kallali and Hutlen would argue no-ones cares because two of them were non-white. The rest associate with these non-whites, so they must be bad. Maybe the media coverage is excessive because Corby is female, therefore more vulnerable.

Finally, just to piss Kallali off, "I love being white..."
Posted by davo, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 8:32:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
• A well thought out and powerful piece of writing. I wish it was mine.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 9:35:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One interesting thing, about we 'white racists' :) is that we allow Chick to speak his mind. In his former homeland Malaysia they had what were termed "The 5 sensitive issues". Things which you were not allowed even to discuss privately let alone in public. Some of them were
Race. (45% malay 30% Chinese 10% Indians and the rest 'other' races)
Religion.
NEP (New Education Policy)

Why were they so sensitive ? Well, the Malays were in the process of establishing educational quota's based purely upon RACE. ie.. Their race. The Malays were to be deliberately fast tracked at the expense of the Chinese (around 40%) and Indians (around 5%)

Religion was a hot potato because the State Religion was/is Islam.

In 1969 I was in a C130 hercules going from Vietnam to Butterworth when news of sudden race riots between Chinese and Malays broke.

Now the superior attitude of White Westerners to the 'inferior' Asians. .... is the same as that of the Han Chinese toward the 'inferior' Tibetans and minority Ethnic groups in China. Its the same as the Malay attitude to the 'inferior infidel chinese' in Malaysia. And its the same as the Chinese attitude to the 'economically inferior' Malays in the same country.

Of course, none of it is factual, but it serves its purpose of fostering the 'us/them' needed to reinforce the 'group' mentality.

As for 'yellow perils' Well I guess with the gold rush and influx of numerous 'other's it was a reality only avoided by violence and attacks "those damn chinese make ROUND mine shafts, they MUST be wierd". But then, before the 'almost' Yellow peril of that period there was a WHITE peril which came and destroyed the indigenous people, so I guess, knowing what they had already done, they didn't want it done to them.

Every 'us' was previously a 'them'... and people wonder why I refer our attention to Jesus Christ. I'll say it again, only new 'people' make good societies, no amount of education by itself, even over generations will change the us/them world view
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 10:40:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think people like Rainer and Chek Ling like feeling oppressed since it gives them leverage to achieve things beyond the horizons of their ordinary mundane abilities.

What about the Bali nine Chek Ling ,mostly Anglo Saxon,there will be no out pouring of sympathy for them.They were caught red handed.
With Shapple Corby it was about a fair trial.The evidence was tainted,no finger printing of the drug container or any consideration to the evidence presented by the Corby defence.

Of course Chek Ling you will find racism in Australia,but Anglo Saxions don't have the monopoly on it.

How many foreigners will you find in China or Japan who are allowed to set up their own communities,radio stations sponsored by the Govt.
and a multitude of benefits that Anglos haven't a hope of receiving.

I can't go to Japan for instance and buy land,I have to be a Japanese National.

If you want to feel accepted,mix with the dominant culture,enjoy our humour and if you still don't like us ,go back from whence you came!
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 11:17:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chek, you might consider the possibility that what you consider racism may be a reaction to "perceived" cultural differences. Maybe those cultural differences are a reflection of reporting in the media or maybe they are real.

A couple of impressions you might care to refute which I believe contribute to disquiet about the fairness of indonesian legal processes.
- The chief judge is reported to have aquitted nobody in over 500 trials.
- Routine reporting that bribary is rife in the indonesian legal system. It is certainly being reported that the prison system runs on bribes.

For the record I'm in the undecided camp regarding the Corby case.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 6 July 2005 8:00:23 AM
Dear all

Wow, what an amazing response! Let me just clarify my position - been muddied by too many self-serving assumptions or selective interpretations. First I make no assumption about poor Schapelle's guilt or innocence. Secondly her family is clearly not "the average Aussie household". Thirdly Australia must rank quite highly in terms of our social stability and the democratic instiutions we have.Fourthy,there is plenty of room for us to be a better society. That is the aim of my article. The remains of our racist past is still with us, and appears to be amenable to political manipulations, and to fomentations by self appointed media cultural commissars like Alan Jones and his likes.

The fact that we all know about the corruptness and duplicitiousness of such people in our midst does not mean that we should not strive to leave our socety a better and more robust one for those who come after us.

The other point I was hoping to make in my article is that national leadership is important. Howard I believe has failed us. He has stooped to the lowest and basest instincts of our national psyche for his own political ends. (Think of "Hiltler's willing executioners.")

Has Howard perhaps even institutionalised lying in the public service? Peter Reith lied to us on the children overboard affair and got rewarded by Howard with a $250 000 a year job, tax free, in Europe. A public servant who helped craft a lid on the same affair got promoted to a different department and got a public service medal to boot!

If we are a clever nation, we must ask these questions. We are just a small nation, a small economy. Clear,fearless thinking and striving hopefully will ensure that we become a more civilised and mature society that is fair and just to all, especially to the indigenous people from whom the Brits stole this land.

Yes, it was a long time ago. Yet the remains of that attitude to "the other" is still very much with us.

Chek
Posted by Chek, Wednesday, 6 July 2005 10:02:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. All