The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Corby highlights our lingering 'White Australia' sentiment > Comments

Corby highlights our lingering 'White Australia' sentiment : Comments

By Chek Ling, published 5/7/2005

Chek Ling argues the Corby case has shown Australians have double standards when it comes to dealing with Asians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All
I contribute to a research fund for a cure for schizophrenia. Is there one for racism?
Posted by hutlen, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 2:14:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by hutlen "I contribute to a research fund for a cure for schizophrenia. Is there one for racism? "

The scourge of racism knows no boundaries, it respects no one and can (obviously) infect any and every ethnic group.

The problem is - we can set laws to regulate and modify behaviour - but unfortunately "racism" is an attitude - for which the only cure is education (applied liberally over successive generations).
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 3:17:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Col Rouge says: “The scourge of racism knows no boundaries, it respects no one and can (obviously) infect any and every ethnic group”.
I disagree. Racism comes from the side of privilege.
Posted by hutlen, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 3:33:34 PM
There is a story (I don't know if it is true or not) that there is a museum of prejudice in Israel. It has two entrances, one is marked "For those with prejudice" and the other" For those without prejudice." If you go in by the second entrance you run into a brick wall which says "Go back, no-one is without prejudice."
I think Australians are no more and no less prejudiced than anyone else, and sometimes our prejudices are unscrupulously manipulated by people (like our PM) who should know better.
But I don't agree with you, hutlen. Racism may be more harmful when delivered from a position of power and privilege, but everyone has their own prejudices, including racism.
Posted by enaj, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 4:54:05 PM
Is anyone else sick and tired of being called racist? It's getting pretty old hat these days Chek. People like yourself who love to tell us what uneducated, racist rabble we are are beginning to be viewed as a bit of a joke - which is good because that's exactly what you are. You've managed to put up with ignorant, racist Australians for more than 40 years now, so I don't suppose it's been all that bad for you here. Instead if telling us how awful we are, how about you tend to that great big chip on your shoulder?
Of course we have racist people in Australia - every country in the world has them. We are no worse - and generally much better - than most. We're slowly starting to realise that far from having something to be ashamed of - we should be proud of the degree of racial tolerance in this country.
If you want to see examples of ignorant Australians you need look no further than hutlens' comment: "Racism comes from the side of privilege." Sheesh!!
Posted by bozzie, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 6:31:20 PM
enaj. A prejudice is based on lack of knowledge or reason, but racism can continue into a well informed, even reasoned belief – evidenced by some arguments in these threads.

I think that in Australia like everywhere else there is both - racial prejudice and racism.
Posted by hutlen, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 7:08:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy