The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tough times ahead as proposed workplace reforms miss the boat > Comments

Tough times ahead as proposed workplace reforms miss the boat : Comments

By Bradon Ellem and Russell Lansbury, published 1/7/2005

Bradon Ellem and Russell Lansbury argue the gap between high-income and low-income workers is about to widen.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
I remember seeing an interview with an American worker, who was asked to recognise the Government's success in job creation. He said:" Sure he created a lot of jobs. I've got three of them." I don't think the americanisation of casual labour will improve the economy or social stability or the birthrate. But the PM will have left before the backlash really bites.
Posted by Johntas, Friday, 1 July 2005 12:32:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well written piece! Unfortunately, I feel that many Australians do not understand the long term effects of these industrial changes. Many people have an almost disbelieving approach. That 'it' (the negative reforms) will never happen, that we have such a strong worker/economics approach. With the dislike of Unions prevailing, many people are just happy to see the Union movement being squashed, without understanding that the reforms will in fact, affect each and every one of us in our daily lives.
Once employees are forced onto casual contracts, they will lose the benefits of permanence, and therefore lose things such as Annual leave and sickness entitlements. No more holidays with the kids at Christmas? Do we tip waitstaff as they will not be able to rely on penalty rates? Will there be nurses in hospitals on night shift? Why work nights when the pay is the same as day shifts.
The take home pay of most working and middle class Australians has been kept workable due to overtime and penalty rates. Once these are removed, there will be little left in the pay packet.
Having lived in the USA until recently, I witnessed first hand, the decrease in pay conditions and working benefits. Many adults were forced to accept a minimum wage, with hours kept to a minimum of 30 hours and below (thereby no annual leave, medical coverage etc). One only has to look at the working conditions of people in the industrialised nations prior to the formation of Unions to know exactly which direction we are heading in. The gurgler may in fact be closer than we think.
Posted by tinkerbell1952, Friday, 1 July 2005 3:24:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The real (negative) impact of the proposed changes will become evident when the inevitable downturn in the economy occurs.Just watch employers dump staff and cut wages and conditions and the workers won't be able to do much about it. Unions and the industrial commission will be shut out. The State industrial commissions will have a vital role in maintaining minimum wages for those workers who don't come under the federal system.
Posted by rossco, Friday, 1 July 2005 4:02:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Meats have offered individual contracts for its workers; the verdict the contracts stink. Workers are far worse off having lost ordinary expected entitlements and received lower pay. Its a great system for the employer; woeful for the worker. The worker is treated like a sub-contractor but is paid in a PAYE manner. Nothing academic about this travisty.
Posted by ant, Friday, 1 July 2005 6:47:49 PM
You guys have some valuable points, which should be examined further.
I speak as an employer and a manufacturer.
I would love to give a really good wage and conditions deal to anyone working for me. I'd love to pay electronic process workers the kind of money a builders laborer gets, so they can drive their Beamers :)
but the problem is, CHINA and the artificially low wages that a dictarorial regime can enforce, so that manufacturers are basically put out of business in other countries.

Instead of raging against the government who are attempting to KEEP us competitive, why not rage against the Chinese, and campaign for a blockade of Chinese manufactured goods coming thru our ports ?

We are now seeing a flood of ALL kinds of chinese manufactured goods coming here, including Furniture, often using OUR wood. (Ash)
So, I wonder how anyone whining about 'worse conditions' will approach a furniture manufacturer ? What will you say ? how about "Shut your factory down, sack all your workers and IMPORT from China" (as many are doing)

Treating the symptom rather than the CAUSE is a very short term and blinkered approach. One by one, our industries will be picked off, destroyed, annihalated. Then we can all stare at each others glazed eyes and furrowed brows and whine about 'What will we do NOW" ? There will be NO-ONE who can do squat about the predicament. Worse, there will not be enough money in the economy to even pay the dole. We cannot ALL become tourist guides for Chinese industrialists coming to gloat over conquered lands.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 2 July 2005 12:06:12 PM
When are people going to admit that Austtalia has been living beyond its means for a considerable time and that the standard of living has to be reduced?
Posted by plerdsus, Saturday, 2 July 2005 12:22:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy