The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Larry Summers saga - women’s scientific aptitude and the truth about choice > Comments

The Larry Summers saga - women’s scientific aptitude and the truth about choice : Comments

By Leslie Cannold, published 24/3/2005

Leslie Cannold argues that Larry Summers' thesis that women lack 'intrinsic aptitude' is very mistaken

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
If I was paranoid I could understand what was going on on this forum, unfortunatley I decided that paranoia wasn't for me. This is not a comment on your post enaj.
Posted by Penekiko, Thursday, 31 March 2005 7:40:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Deleted for flaming]

Back to the issue, Summers words were thoughtless and many women are understanderbly upset. However, it is better that attitudes like his are brought into the open and discussed rather than in the past where women were unable to openly complain without fear of censure.

As a number of participants in this forum demonstrate - equal opportunity for women requires constant vigilance. How easily are some men threatened by intelligent independant women - to the point they have convinced themselves that feminism is akin to nazism - wot rot!

I am not interested in some helpless, submissive female - while I don't mind being protective I prefer a women who can take care of herself - leaves more time for other pleasurable activities. Ladies not all of us live in fear of you and I'm man enuff to say it.
Posted by Ambo, Thursday, 31 March 2005 7:56:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The usual suspects Timkins, the usual suspects and arguments abound. Women do balance things differently from men, but no matter how much maligned you guys may feel in the working world, we live in a patriarchal society in the working world (no one can argue it's matriarchal). As a working woman with no children, I would still give my eyeteeth to be able to earn enough money to employ a house cleaner so that when I get home I don't have to do another lot on the weekend. And pursue other things. It is all about balance. If anyone wants to work at their job for 50 hours a week, it had better be their business otherwise they have a lousy boss or are on a treadmill from hell. Nobody on their deathbed would say "Gee I wish i had spent more time at the office" but in this life, to be dismissed by an acedemic dickwhack as to your gender equals ability to take on certain things in an environment that needs changing for all workers, gets on my proverbial goat.
Posted by Di, Friday, 8 April 2005 10:41:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy