The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The left-wing bias of Australia’s media elite > Comments

The left-wing bias of Australia’s media elite : Comments

By David Flint, published 1/4/2005

David Flint raises concerns over the bias of Australia’s media elite.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Anyone notice how Flint looks like a mix of Gengis Khan and Vicktor Yushencko?
Posted by Penekiko, Friday, 1 April 2005 7:39:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay, while I kind of agree with most of your post your generalisation about people in the public service is being unfair on the many who do work long and hard even if the employer is the government or a big company. There are bad apples in both big and small business and good workers in both.
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 1 April 2005 7:52:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles, are u suggesting that 'one clearly uttered statement' is not enough to base a view of bias on ? Hmmm rather weak in reasoning I'd say. Surely one doesn't need many degrees to realize that it depends on 'what' was said, 'how' it was said, to whom, and rest of the context.

I'd say that to bemoan a particular government being re-elected as indicative of a failure of achieving specific educational goals is PRETTY CLEAR. In fact, I'd say it doesn't get much clearer than that ! to be clearer, it would take a transfiguration I think.

I can remember a classic example of left wing bias during the One nation campaign. Afternoon news (when few people are watching news)story showed the immigration spokesperson and reported/showed the first few points of the 1nation immig policy being read out. By the time everyone got home for the 7.00 o'clock news, the story had been re-hashed to put just one point across "The 1-nation immig spokesperson has serious conflict with the Federal Minister" absolutely ZERO about their policies. I'd say the ABC especially is left biased, though LANDLINE is my all time fav. 4corners is pretty good too. 7.30 report I quite like, and Kerry Obrien seems to be quite unbiased to me, another top and worthy Journo would be Maxine McQew (however u spell it)

But one point has to be recognized, unbiased media is an illusion as u rightly pointed out.

The holy grail of any political party seems from my observation, to be 'control' of the ABC, even though this might not manifest itself in much of the day to day running, if Prof Flints reporting of the 'soft left' job qualification is accurate, sounds like its just getting all the pieces in place for the real action around election time or for those times when disputes over tenders for major projects are festering.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 1 April 2005 8:04:25 PM
Mr Flint, thankyou for your well written piece. I have a couple of questions and things to clarify.

Firstly, have you ever read "The West Australian"? Would it be fair to say that none of the Left-biased "media elite" are working on this particular paper? Perhaps the awesome power of the Lefty media elite has failed to sweep all the way across to ... well, the Left hand side of the country (assuming you're looking at the Earth with the North Pole in the "up" position, which is a totally arbitrary way to view an object in an infinite universe, but I digress [or do I?]).

Secondly, when Mary Kostakidis said "the so called 'weapons of mass destruction'" that one time, was that Left-y? Is that what you mean?

Thirdly, given how much we hear about the effect of the media on popular opinion, how is it that this softie Leftie media elite has failed to get a Greenie elected PM? Why do we still have mandatory detention of asylum seekers? Where are the female Premiers and Prime Minsters? How is it we still get more people at the footy than at those Lefty peace protests? I reckon the Left media "elite" must be a bit crap! Elite means "the best or most skilled of a group" doesn't it? They're rubbish - what effect have they had?

You obviously know more about these things than I do - you certainly read a lot more media. And I might be just as Left as you are Right, thus enabling me to be just as biased in the way I read things. I don't know. I just don't see the impact of this Lefty media elite.

AH
Posted by Tokyo, Saturday, 2 April 2005 3:18:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
about the only useful comment in Flint's piece was recognition that our defamation laws need adjustment. The rest wasn't exactly evidence-based.

I believe the media serve the right wing, and some of the evidence is:
a) a significant international report saying that 60% of the world's ecosystems are in decline was mentioned briefly on the ABC news, but doesn't seem to be covered in this weekend's Australian or the Canberra Times.Gee, we wouldn't want to question the need for growth, would we?
b) a total lack of critical perspective on the current Pope. It's just too un-PC to mention how he went after the liberation theologists in central america, and even collaborated with the CIA to identify them.
Posted by sarah m, Saturday, 2 April 2005 5:53:47 PM
Sarah, there are a lot of assumptions about many things in your posts.
One being that the 'liberation theologians' are correct ? While they may have some good things to say, what counts is how what they 'say' accords with the position in the Church and the Churches position on particular issues. If they 'take issue' with that, they should leave and speak from their individual viewpoint, not from within the Church.

I'm not a Catholic by the way. If u want left wing bias, listen to Philip Adams for a few hours.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 2 April 2005 6:37:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy