The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The left-wing bias of Australia’s media elite > Comments

The left-wing bias of Australia’s media elite : Comments

By David Flint, published 1/4/2005

David Flint raises concerns over the bias of Australia’s media elite.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
"...unashamedly advancing an agenda that is out of touch and alien to the overwhelming majority of Australians."
Where is the evidence of this? If this were so, wouldn't people stop watching/reading or start up their own media outlets? (A form of accountability.) What relevance is their not being elected? I thought Mr Flint was against government control of the media.

"...under firm editorial direction, ... freer than ever before from editorial and managerial control."
Riiight. And giving them greater scope for abuse will magically fix this. I'm for increased freedom of communication, but that won't promote responsibile journalism. Nor will it lead to "A clear distinction [] between the objective search for the truth, the news and opinion." That's up to the editors/managers - unless the left-wing elites who enjoy advancing their agenda get their wish and are legally prevented from advancing their agenda.

"The villain in this has above all been the unelected and unaccountable US Supreme Court, which in this and other fields has unashamedly usurped for itself a legislative role."
Wha??

Mr Flint considers LGF and Powerline to be "humble" bloggers, which makes it very hard to take him seriously. It was one fraudulent memo btw, the attack itself was otherwise well supported -- but that was lost in the scandal.

Talkback is good for raising issues and differing viewpoints, but it is not a replacement for proper news coverage and the nature of it often prevents proper evaluation of opinions. I also get the distinct impression from the lack of a full quote that Flint is misrepresenting David Marr.

On another note, how does the moderation work around here?
Posted by Deuc, Friday, 1 April 2005 1:29:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Deuce,

The election results mate. There's your evidence.
Remember Ray's worm? it veered to the left mate!
Posted by Sayeret, Friday, 1 April 2005 1:40:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The date being April 1st, I am probably walking into a trap here, set by some prankster who can parody most beautifully the biases, betes-noirs and idiosyncracies of our favourite conservative apologist. But I'll take the risk, just in case it turns out to be genuine - it is such a delicious mix of rant and irrelevancy.

From Wayne Sawyer's single comment he grandly infers "much of our children’s tuition has been requisitioned to promote a left-wing political agenda". Love it!

From David Marr's observation that fascists make lousy journos he smugly draws the conclusion that "the elite media now serve the public a never ending diet of partisan opinion " Exquisite!

We then hear once again the refrain, why can't the media elite (I do so wish someone would tell me who these folk are, and in whose opinion they are 'elite') all see the world with his absolute crystal clarity.

I think however, he can rest easy in his bed, and without fear there may be reds thereunder, given how few of us plebs actually watch the programmes he loves to excoriate. Face it Flinty old chum, we are all glued to the commercial channels' visual tabloids, and are comparatively rarely exposed to that insidious pinko ABC's soft-left view of life.

Stop baying at the moon, accept that there is room in this world for more than one approach to life, and that the pursuit of bald unvarnished facts in the media is illusory. Should we automatically accept Al Jazeera's view of life, for example, on the basis that it is about as far from "soft-left" as you could get?
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 1 April 2005 2:01:06 PM
David dear how utterly and totally refreshing to read another fine absolutely un-biassed article from the master of fair and unprejudiced writing. Some of the nasty people who inhabit this forum could say that you are still smarting from your "Media Report" trouncing or drubbing and your subsequent sacking from a very nice earner - the broadcasting board.Have you ever thought of writing for little jonnie? or adolf hi - no he died didn't he? fond regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Friday, 1 April 2005 3:26:07 PM
Deuc, Sayeret, Pericles and Numbat well said all! David needs to get a life.
Cheers
Posted by Ringtail, Friday, 1 April 2005 5:37:53 PM
In our whimpish society it is easier to appeal to our human weakness than our courage to achieve.Hence the growth of left wing journos.We are so concerned with safety,protection and crying out for the Govt.to keep us that we do not see the reality in the slavery of private enterprise of both small business and it's workers that supports this perverted system.The Soft Option Brigade [SOBS]cry too loud and often.The real workers don't have the time and are just too damn exhausted from supporting the non doers.Just look at the profile of many in this forum.Most are in the public service.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 1 April 2005 7:18:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy