The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The deserving rich > Comments

The deserving rich : Comments

By Jane Caro, published 22/3/2005

Jane Caro argues mutual obligation should apply equally to wealthy private schools and the socially disadvantaged.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Of all of Mark Latham's policies, that was his best in my opinion, although some others come close. It's such a pity that Upperclass welfare wasn't ended last October. Either the private schools drop fees so that all can attend, which they may need more public money for, or public funding for rich schools is ended. Isn't this in keeping with the Liberal Party's 'user pays' ideology?

Malcom Turnbull should be Liberal Leader one day and Petro Georgio his deputy.
Posted by Penekiko, Tuesday, 22 March 2005 5:03:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was almost with a sense of relief that I read Jane Caro's article. After the federal election I thought that Mark Latham's proposal would be lost and forgotten. Why is it that 'user-pays' is only at the lower income end of the spectrum? Wealthy private schools should be accountable for public money they receive - this includes my taxes and my children attend public schools, yet my hard earned $'s go towards private school kids as well. Hardly equitable - but it is typical of the economic rationalist ideology.
Posted by Ringtail, Tuesday, 22 March 2005 5:49:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And even if you as a taxpayer wanted to send your kids to a private school you still may not be able to afford it. But even if you could afford it, is $10,000 a year worth it? Does it give a better education? Or would the money be better spent paying Hecs for your kids up front?
Posted by Penekiko, Wednesday, 23 March 2005 9:21:49 AM
Mutual obligation should apply especially to those who are on social security and have few skills.To have no purpose in life because of a state that lets you take soft options, is a recipe for social disintergration.Real wealth exits in the minds of your people.When the inspiration,freedom,and motivation for hard work stops,so does the wealth.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 23 March 2005 8:41:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is no reason to stop at private school subsidies. You will find that just about all subsidies, rebates and handouts fail to deliver their objectives of cost support to the consumer. All they tend to do is fuel demand for the subsidised sevice forcing prices up. The price rise is generally equivalent to the original subsidy. This is precisely what has happened to the private health insurance rebates, child care subsidies and every other form of middle class welfare. Unfortunately our mob in Canberra don't understand this.
Posted by crocodile, Thursday, 31 March 2005 8:51:38 PM
I agree totally Croc, the only advantage these subsidies have is when they are used for pork barelling come election time.
Posted by Penekiko, Thursday, 31 March 2005 9:16:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy