The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > So many opinions offered by so few, who seem to know so little > Comments

So many opinions offered by so few, who seem to know so little : Comments

By Kym Durance, published 10/3/2005

Kym Durance asks what is it that makes those people paid for their opinions so special.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Kym:I do not mind listening to others "expert?" views as they can drive me to investigate for myself. Alternatively these views of the somewhat pompous, arrogant small minded 'experts' can give me a good laugh.Of course jones, laws and adams are beyond the pale - no one should listen to these clowns at all, as well the pliant writers in some n/papers.
What does get up my nose and I think it sad for democratic Australia are n/paper writers/columnists.These "fearless and independent writers" who instead of reporting the truth or even their views seem to write what their boss or editor tells/orders them.Instead of informing they attempt to change our views usually by writing lies and half truths it seems. The Australian is one of these "news?" papers, liberal to the core and so obedient to rampant rupert and too the rodent. Regards, numbat.
Posted by numbat, Thursday, 10 March 2005 12:33:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kym, I found myself nodding in agreement. Probably didn't change my opinion at all (but then I agreed with most of what you wrote).

The scary bit about broadcast/print media opinions is that many of us probably still have some kind of subconscious thinking that claims made in the guise of editorial comment should be backed up by fact. If we stop and think about it we realise how unlikely that is, if we don't we give unreasonable weight to claims made. I know I grew up not expecting the detail behind an assertion to be dishonest, what I learned to question was the interpretation of that detail. I have to constantly remind myself that many (on all sides of politics numbat) are willing to deliberately provide misleading info or outright lies to support what they want me to believe.
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 10 March 2005 1:09:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
RObert: What you say about all political parties is, unfortunately too true.Yet you must agree that the'rodent'has majored in deceit and lies, at present no one can hold a candle to him. Regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Thursday, 10 March 2005 2:31:38 PM
numbat, I live in QLD and work for a GOC. I think Teflon Pete could hold his own with any of them. Probably depends on which side of politics you tend to favor as to who you think is the biggest liar/spin merchant.

Having said that I have been very disappointed at the apparent willingness to lie and use "spin" shown by the current federal government. More that I expected better of them than that I think they are worse than there opponents (that may be bias on my part but that happens).

Regards
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 10 March 2005 2:43:51 PM
I happen to agree with Dirty Harry's view (opinion) about opinions. I cannot, of course, repeat that in full. Suffice it to say that everyone has (at least) one. Paid opiners are, I believe, surrogates for those of us denied the pleasure of expressing our opinions to anyone who will listen. I freely admit that I avoid reading the opinions of those whom I consider to be benighted enough to differ in their outlook from me. It gives me some reflected pleasure to read the opinions of those with whom I generally agree and only slightly less pleasure to ignore those with whom I generally disagree.
Posted by Terry, Thursday, 10 March 2005 6:57:17 PM
Let's face it Kym, what we are talking about here is just another branch of the entertainment industry. Like CNN.

When was the last time you heard the phrase "newspaper of record", and didn't laugh out loud? With even serious news items presented to us as predigested gobbets, it should come as no surprise that the space needs to be filled with entertainment with even less intellectual value.

So to stay sane, don't look for truth, beauty or enlightenment from the opinion-peddlers, just think of them as extended comic strips.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 10 March 2005 7:29:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy