The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time to recruit five-year-olds to ensure future prosperity > Comments

Time to recruit five-year-olds to ensure future prosperity : Comments

By Jenny Macklin, published 4/3/2005

Jenny Macklin argues Brendan Nelson is not revealing the extent of Australia's skills shortage.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
So nice to experience Timkins and ozawares' special versions of reality again - although I suspect the actuality would be bit lonely for my liking :)

Like many ex-academics, more than a decade ago I commented that many of our 'fresher' students seemed better equipped for training in a trade than for the more intellectually demanding requirements of a university degree. It seems I was right: the quality of degree content has certainly declined in my disciplinary areas (Humanities and Social Sciences) in order to 'dumb down' for the market. At the same time, the demand for qualified tradespeople has exploded, to the point that I fear a whole generation is happening that wouldn't know good tradesmanhip if it fell over it :(

Not to mention our current crop of semi-literate professionals... sigh. We'll always need more scientists, but right now I'd like a competent and available electrician, or a plumber within 50 km. It'd be nice if the people who run the local paper could spell too!

I now run my own business in the communications/transport industry and employ people.

I vote Green. While I applaud Jenny Macklin's advocacy of science education, I can't help but think that we are, after all, reaping the bitter harvest of the Dawkins reforms - however well-intentioned.

Education needs a radical re-think, but I'm not at all sure that Dr Nelson's agenda will produce the mix of skills, knowledge and research that we will need this century.

Kind regards,
Morgan
Posted by morganzola, Saturday, 5 March 2005 12:26:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Morgonzola,
If you wish to make comments regards myself then you can be specific. If you want to make generalized comments then don’t bother.

The point is that it “will” most likely be males who will be filling trades positions such as bricklayers, builders, electricians (particularly industrial electricians), welders, fitters, mechanics etc. Women are heading for office work, and I see no reason to believe that this will change

However in the past, government has almost totally ignored men. No major party has a policy for men and boys, but all have policies for women, I understand that up to 30% of an average MP’s mail is taken up with matters such as complaints about Family Law and CSA (which seems totally intent upon decimating families). In almost all cases MP’s simply ignore these letters and e-mails from men and fathers, but huge amounts of money are annually poured into groups that are quite anti-male.

The amount of money spent on men’s health is abysmal compared to female health issues, and personally I have heard from nurses complaining about it, as they have to nurse male patients with minimal resources. As well male suicide (for both youths and men) is one of the main reasons for male death.

Many 10,000’s of fathers have been removed from their children’s lives and left as Disney Dads, and now government wants 5 yr olds to become interested in science and technology and trade work.

Oh yeah. In the present circumstances, I think government is carrying out wishful thinking. Most likely government will import 20,000 “mere males” to fill the trade shortage, but when these “mere males” begin to see what government like to do to men, then I think it is going to become a big problem in the future for government.
Posted by Timkins, Saturday, 5 March 2005 10:25:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's interesting that overwhleming the posts (so far) to this article by Jenny Macklin, have proven so negative. And its pleasing that they have.

Macklin continues to rant, but unfortunately, comes up with no viable alternative solution. Liek so many of her parliamentary colleagues.

As a long term Labor supporter, I continue to be disappointed by the federal Party's efforts on a range of policy areas.

Its time that the trade union hacks were scuttled, and replaced with people, candidates and party members that have real world experience, and policy skills to share.
Posted by robertomelbourne1@bigpond.com, Saturday, 5 March 2005 4:23:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Morgan….

>>>>>>>>" reaping the bitter harvest of the Dawkins reforms - however well-intentioned."

What is infinitely sad about this statement is that you actually admit that Dawkin's leftist-style thinking and ideology -"however well-intentioned"- has resulted in a social disaster.

Yet, by continuing to vote Green and support Jenny Macklin, you show that you STILL cannot distance yourself from such "well-intentioned" but provably irrational and invariably idiotic ideologies.

You are the first leftist I have come across who actually "gets it"-and then, against all reason, STILL does not "get it".

Due to the silly 350 word limit, this post continues at http://www.oz-aware.com/debate4.htm
Posted by ozaware, Saturday, 5 March 2005 11:12:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We need a stronger Labor party since the coalition without competition will quickly decay after so long in office.The Aust. public have moved to the right and Labor are in denial about the need for a more disciplined and responsible society that is less concerned about rights.I was gob smacked by Jenny's article.

Presently I would liken Labor to a glazed pig on a spit,turning in the same old circles with no fire in the belly,and the carcass is beginning to rot.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 5 March 2005 11:26:02 PM
The skills shortage solution is in the hands of industry. We have a booming economy with record profits, yet no-one wants to take on many apprentices. Why should the government pay for it?

Industry, step up to the plate. I'm willing. Out of sydney too with suitable relocation assistance.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Sunday, 6 March 2005 5:29:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy