The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > SpongeBob comes a Buster with US Christian Right > Comments

SpongeBob comes a Buster with US Christian Right : Comments

By Jane Rankin-Reid, published 8/3/2005

Jane Rankin-Reid examines the charges of moral turpitude against Sponge Bob Square Pants and Buster.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Here's a true story: I went to see SpongeBob Squarepants with two little girls (8 & 9). Between us we consumed much popcorn and laughed alot. When we emerged from the cinema we all held hands as we walked to the car.

OMIGOD! I've just realised that my daughter and step-granddaughter are budding Lesbians - and I am clearly a paedophile...

What am I to do? To whom should I report myself?

Morgan
Posted by morganzola, Thursday, 17 March 2005 10:38:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mollydukes,

You truly are deluded if you think you have presented coherent arguments and shot me "down in flames".

Nothing else in your post deserves a response.

I will miss your posts though. They always give me another opportunity to highlight the incoherent nonsense coming out of the homosexual lobby groups and their cheer squad, and reinforce the truth and coherence of the Christian worldview.
Posted by Aslan, Friday, 18 March 2005 1:55:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aslan

If it makes it easier for you to maintain your steady bigotry of homosexuals by believing my "story" is a work of fiction, then go right ahead, but in the end, you are only deluding yourself. And in the end, the young man in my "story" has already been dead for nearly 24 hours because of the bigotry you ascribe to. More than that, another gay man or lesbian will kill themselves tonight. The carnage must stop.

I also notice with interest that you didn't attempt to tell me how my "lifestyle" is self destructive. I gave you a snapshot of my life, an example of my typical day - the one you maintain is destroying me and it seems you have been unable or unwilling to outline its self destructive nature.

You continue to generalise wildly about homosexual people. It would be akin to me saying all Priests are child molesters. It's nonsense and harmful and it would be in everyone's best interests if you desisted.

Aslan, you are misinformed about so many aspects of homosexuality which is why I have persisted in responding to you. Personally, you have no impact on me because I'm comfortable with who I am and I recognise the rubbish you spew forth as just that, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stand by and allow you to continue to spread misinformation, particularly when young gays and lesbians are killing themselves over it. We all have the capacity to walk in another person's shoes and I think it's high time you gave it a try.

I'll post another "story" in the next post as I've gone over my word limit here. I wonder if you'll dismiss this one as "fiction" as well.
Posted by Concerned Citizen, Friday, 18 March 2005 3:54:31 AM
PART 1

"ULTIMATE PRICE PAID FOR MY IGNORANT PREJUDICE "

ADRIAN PICCOLI MP.

The Daily Telegraph 11.3.05
= = =
I have killed a man. In fact, I have killed men, not through what I have done, but through my own pathetic and stupid prejudice.

Not long ago, I went to the funeral of a young gay friend of mine who had died of a rare wasting illness.

He ultimately died of a broken heart - he died because he was sorry to be gay. He was a country bloke who didn't want to be gay, but he just was.

He didn't want the prejudice that he would inevitably face. I guess he wanted the textbook life that we generally romanticize about and call "normal", but it just wasn't him.

At the cemetery, I saw two of his friends, both male, holding hands as they lowered the casket, bawling their eyes out at the loss of their beloved friend. Through their tears my eyes were finally opened. Their love and respect was what mattered. Who cares what people do as long as they love each other?
Posted by Concerned Citizen, Friday, 18 March 2005 11:28:19 PM
Part 2

"ULTIMATE PRICE PAID FOR MY IGNORANT PREJUDICE "

I felt like a complete moron. In all these years of thinking that being gay was odd or unusual, in actual fact I was perpetuating prejudice that was killing young men - and which still kills young men.

I killed my friend through my failure to accept difference, and through the lack of understanding from other country blokes, just like me, who made him hate being gay. It is not overt prejudice or open vilification. It's the more dangerous, subtle, constant things we do that must have gnawed away at his soul. It was people such as me who give gay people a funny look, who make gay men ashamed in country Australia.

And I haven't just killed him. I have killed many. Killed them at the end of a rope in the back shed or at the barrel of their father's gun or next to an empty bottle of grog.

It's a tough realisation to come to. I have been brought up and remain a strong Catholic, believing in strong "family values" and that heterosexual relationships were what God was all about. But only a week after the funeral, I went to a wedding where the Priest read the Gospel where He says "of all of my commandments the most important one is to love they neighbour". Unless they cut out a bit on the end that said "unless they are gay," I reckon God didn't care much about who you love, so why do we?

Thomas, if you can hear me, forgive me for now I understand.
Posted by Concerned Citizen, Saturday, 19 March 2005 9:22:13 AM
Homosexuals in Australia are shamed? I don't think so.

Those who indulge in the Mardi Gras don't feel any shame, nor do the many activists that are constantly lobbying governments.

In a 1978 Time Magazine article, "Sick Again", 70% of the ten thousand randomly polled American Psychological Association members said that homosexuals’ problems have more to do with their own inner conflicts than with stigmatization by society at large.
“Sick Again? Psychiatrists Vote on Gays” Time, 20 February 1978, 102.

And that was 1977-78. Society is now even more accepting of homosexuals than it was back then.
Posted by Aslan, Saturday, 19 March 2005 11:26:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy