The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The day of the liberal Liberal is at hand > Comments

The day of the liberal Liberal is at hand : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 3/2/2005

Greg Barns investigates the ramifications after July 1, when reformist Liberals will have control of the Senate

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Greg, are you a litigation lawyer who want to sell people their rights?If anyone wants rights they have to work for them and not demand that the rest of society support them.There are parisites at all levels of society,from criminals,lawyers,bureaucrats,insurance companies,multinationals,public servants,professional students etc.When see how hard people work in private enterprise,only to to be screwd by Govt.and insurance companies,I'm disgusted by comments by people of your ilk.How you draw breath of a morning and look in the mirror with that self satisfied smirk is beyond me.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 4 February 2005 12:50:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An inspiring call to treachery!

Some of Greg's scenarios are probably not out of the question though.
Posted by Ben P, Friday, 4 February 2005 11:23:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Greg, I am pleased by your positive outlook, however given recent events with Anderson and allegations of bribery, I would think that any Lib or Nat that had the approval $10mil or more hanging over their electorate heads would quickly toe the line. The dark clouds are forming for the almightly tempest beginning in July.
Posted by Mal, Friday, 4 February 2005 4:22:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hope the Liberals don’t go too liberal before some long overdue tax and welfare reform.

Individual taxpayers should not have to pay income tax at a higher overall rate than companies. When you also consider all other direct and indirect taxes together with total lack of deductibility of expenses (relative to companies), the need to support a family, save for retirement, personal exertion and different needs at different points of an individual’s lifecycle, then the marginal tax rates on personal income, all based on the current 12 months, becomes an unfunny joke.

Let’s take care of the needy in our society by all means, but this is all becoming a bit too ridiculous for words. When you look at divorced men (for example), on (relatively) high income with child support obligations, you could easily come up with figures that would draw tears from a homeless guy – in fact, I wouldn’t be at all surprised, if some of them share similar histories.

Otherwise, we just may have to vote for the Big Guy.
Posted by Seeker, Friday, 4 February 2005 10:44:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well there you go Seeker. That's another topic for On Line Opinion.

Child Support and the effect on fathers, oops sorry, non custodial parents. I could go into the nitty gritty of it all, however I am sure that many of our esteemed peers of On Line will be well aware of the poverty trap that we, as a 'paying' parents are caught in.

My wifes income is taken into account as she can assist in the finacnes to our family, yet, my ex's partner's (very high business income) is not. My previous (wage earner) income is the benchmark, for my current payments, my less substantial income, is not. I have objected and appealed three times, but low and behold we, 'the bad guys, are the ones who are screwed.

Well, Greg, tell me that the liberal Liberals will cross the floor on this one come July and I might just get my old man to turn in his grave the time I come to putting the 'I' in the box on a collation ballot paper.
Posted by Mal, Friday, 4 February 2005 11:04:24 PM
CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES - INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS

Greg brought out an important point. "Employers want things their way" and "Employees want it their way". So, Greg is describing an 'us/them' mentality. The reason things are that way, is because there is no guiding principle to guide both them and us in an impartial way. How about we go to the USER MANUAL for life and get a few clues.

Matthew 18.15 15“If your brother sins against you,[b] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you.
If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.

16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[c]

17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Here is divine authority for 'how to' fix problems on a personal level and also industrial relations level. Take it step by step.
1/ Tell personally
2/ Tell with witneses
3/ Take it to management
4/ Final outcome.

Labors IR policy on unfair dismissal is biased toward the worker. Libs is biased toward the Employer. This policy is fair to both sides.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 4 February 2005 11:10:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy