The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Turning away from the 'Third Way' was Latham's undoing > Comments

Turning away from the 'Third Way' was Latham's undoing : Comments

By Vern Hughes, published 24/12/2004

Vern Hughes argues that Mark Latham needs to re-embrace the politics of the 'Third Way'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Politics is littered with candidates who sounded different and wanted to try new things, but could not produce the details to go along with the sweet sounding rhetoric. These third way ideas sound like they fall into that category. It is difficult to develop new policies and voters rightly ask "How is that going to work?," "How much is that going to cost?" and "Who will be responsible for that?", when new policies are proposed.

It is easy to stand up and say "I will be sustainable," "I will have schools that respond to parents needs" and "I will have a health care system that caters to everyone." The difficulty is nailing down the details of how those things will be achieved. Often the details reveal that the changes will disadvantage many people (see Tasmanian forests) and then elections are lost.

Good Luck getting a more community oriented political system and I look forward to more details.
Posted by ericc, Friday, 24 December 2004 1:41:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The third way is often a compromise between left and right.Individuals taking responsibility for their actions no matter what their socio/economic status is the central theme.The last 30yrs has been dominated by left wing comfort zoners.Why would we need a fence sitting third option,when the pendulum is only just beginning to swing towards the right?
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 2 January 2005 11:22:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy