The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Conservative definitions of family are social engineering > Comments

Conservative definitions of family are social engineering : Comments

By Brian Greig, published 20/12/2004

Brian Greig argues that conservative definitions of "family" are a form of social engineering.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Hey cranky, I think ofhust was being ironic, anyway I had a good laugh, so maybe you should lighten up a bit too. As for the topic in discussion, I support Brian Greig wholeheartedly. Religion is just another excuse for social control - 'if you're not the same as I - you're wrong' such arrogance! A tolerant inclusive society is healthy for all. Duffmeister would have a divisive intolerant world - not healthy at all.
Posted by Ringtail, Friday, 24 December 2004 6:55:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Heyyyy, I'm as light as the next guy! How's this for funny. A gay and lesbian rights meeting falling silent (with all the accompanying hand-wringing and teeth-grinding) because someone announces that 1994 is going to be the "International Year of the Family"? Now that is absolutely hilarious!
Posted by Cranky, Tuesday, 28 December 2004 12:02:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Gays indulge themselves too much in their perceived oppression.

Hetrosexual marriage is on average the most balanced way to rear children.Stop wearing you're sexuality like some badge of honour.We are sick to death of both your rights and unbridled sexuality being used to beat us into submission.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 28 December 2004 6:06:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Doesn't anyone else get tired of the fact that the analysts and commentators about family policy, and research, including researchers themselves, are mostly men? Men, who are mostly missing from families, except as figureheads of masculinity, not as active, participating family members. They do the least amount of work within the home, regardless of whether the mother works outside the home, or not. When they don't live with their children, many men take extreme and often intinidating action to reduce their child support payments, if they pay at all.

We live in a predominantly heterosexual, male-dominated world, but how is it working for us?

There is global conflict on a mass scale, militarily, politically and economically. Never before have so little people had so much, while vast populations exist on next to nothing.

The statistics of violence against women and children is worsening, and it is an accepted fact that sexual violence towards children occurs mostly in their own homes, by heterosexual male family members, be they fathers, uncles or grandfathers, or stepfathers.
Child abuse makes the traditional concept of family as a safe place to be pure, unadulterated hogwash.

The more open the concept of family, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
Posted by oceangrrl, Thursday, 30 December 2004 12:28:54 PM
I agree with Oceangrrl, I grew up in a family that would have the nod of approval from the conservatives/religious. My parents were married till death parted them. Yep, dad died from a cerebral hemorrhage after drinking himself to death but not before he gambled away our home. Hardly ever saw him sober, didn't want to see when he was drunk. So much for the father figure. The only type of family which counts is one where the members love, respect and care for each other.
Posted by Ringtail, Thursday, 30 December 2004 12:42:38 PM
Nothing wrong with poofs - just don't want my daughter marrying one!
Oh, and keep up the fine work Lawsie and Sammy!
Posted by Case, Friday, 7 January 2005 10:00:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy