The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lucky country perhaps, but not the creative country: Forget the MBA, get a MFA > Comments

Lucky country perhaps, but not the creative country: Forget the MBA, get a MFA : Comments

By Ralph Kerle, published 7/10/2004

Ralph Kerle argues that Australia and our MBA's are behind the times, we need to get creative.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
A fantastic article!

It seems to me that many of the failures of Australian business to grapple with the creative process and communicate with the arts community stem from a failure to understand the rigour involved in art. The bulk of Australians (in my experience) tend to view art and the arts as aesthetic 'window dressing' - the source of 'nice' experiences and pretty objects. Although this is the aim of some design and decorative arts, most of modern art is concerned with process, concept and meaning. The conceptual schema that attaches to a piece of art as art (rather than decoration) involves knowledge, theory and imagination. It is these elements (I believe) which lend themselves also to business creativity. Despite receiving compulsory art classes for much of their schooling very few Australians have been introduced to the rigours of art history and theory, or could really begin to understand the process of art creation by professional artists. Given these failings, it is far from surprising that boardrooms and managers are dismissive of those people who (they suppose) devote their lives making pretty things.
Posted by bike_boy, Wednesday, 22 December 2004 10:24:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy