The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Peter Debnam - a lone ranger who won't be managed > Comments

Peter Debnam - a lone ranger who won't be managed : Comments

By Peter Van Onselen and Stephen Barton, published 6/9/2005

Peter van Onselen and Stephen Barton argue the NSW state Liberals' new leader is his own man and doesn’t bow to factions.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I was an active member of the ALP for a good many year. In 2004 I was at the centre of a matter which gained intense media and hence state political attention.

Of all the politicians and journalists I dealt with Debnam was the only one whose concern stretched beyond his/her own advantage. Then well after the matter dwindled from all media attention he was the only one who kept in contact for no reason other than to inquire as to my welfare.

He is a man of substance.

PFH
Posted by PFH, Wednesday, 7 September 2005 7:28:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's hope Peter Debnam and his party can get it together.No matter what new faces NSW Labor churns out,it is still the same old tired party and we the electorate should not be seen to be rewarding such incompetence and stupidity.

It will be interesting to see just how much debt this state is in.Include in the debt, the money needed for infrastructure,unfunded super liability as well as Public Service wages and it won't be a pretty picture.

I hope we don't have to flog everything off like Victoria did to pay for that other Labor Debacle of the early nineties.Remember the old Victoria number plates? "Vict. On the Move",and they were,they were up here looking for jobs.How prophetic.

Perhaps Morris Iemma could do a new plate for NSW."Sail Away with the Spinnicarr State" ,just as a tribute to our Bob.Well Nevile Wran had "The Premier State".Will the electorate forget so quickly?Are we as stupid as the pollies think we are?
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 8 September 2005 12:23:20 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Morris Iemma was going to let a natural attrition of 7 to 8% decrease the Public Service numbers and also make some 29 000 redundant.Well it all seems in the too hard basket.He is already making noises about increasing taxes and charges.

You see,to rely on a natural attrition rate only works if their superannuation schemes have been funded and not spent by Govt.

If Morris increases taxes our state will go into further decline and he will have even less tax.He has to borrow ,go into debt,keep the economy growing and with a growing economy be able to pay the interest and eventually the principal.Once our economy goes into decline,an even greater debt will be incurred{recession} as apposed to simply borrowing and keeping the wheels turning.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 14 September 2005 9:08:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy