The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s everyone else’s fault > Comments

It’s everyone else’s fault : Comments

By Graham Young, published 10/9/2024

Per capita we're 1.5% poorer. If 'Gentleman Jim' and his mates, hadn't been holding the economy to ransom for their union Siamese twins, things could have been quite different.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
It seems our education system would do well to start teaching economics from an earlier age.

Some of the claims in the article are exaggerations, some are only partially true, and some are just plain false.

But none are completely accurate.
Posted by John Daysh, Wednesday, 11 September 2024 9:39:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Daysh,
Yes and, to actually make a proper start, begin with educating the teachers ! I have encountered some rather poor examples of educated people.
We have to get away from letting them get away with telling us how important & of how much value to society they are as soon as they walk out of Uni.
Educated people don't appear to know the meaning of merit. We must focus on merit above all else ! Nothing else can work for long enough. I'm afraid I can't see how we can ever get on top of the me, me everyone else owes me mentality without a National Service. Not a Military service as those who are against any discipline like to refer to it.
Australia is being overrun & going broke from lack of merit ! Do away with the insidious dual citizenship for a start as it is nothing more than a free pass to exploitation without consequences & responsibilities !
Posted by Indyvidual, Wednesday, 11 September 2024 10:05:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems that improving productivity is almost like falling, you actually don't have to do anything a lot of the time, just stay out of the way. If you remove red tape the community will produce without government doing anything. Sometimes there are some blockages that need a small amount of management. But often governments don't know when to sit on their hands and leave things alone. Management is just as much knowing what to do, as what not to do.

It helps to look at different case studies of different systems- a transport system for example- if a road changes the limit along it's length turbulence will occur- if the government alters the limits along the road more people will cover more kilometres per time. If the number of lanes on a road changes then this will create turbulence- so if the government equalizes the lanes on the road there will be more vehicles covering more kilometres per time.

It seems that some governments create problems to justify their power, because they are afraid that their skills aren't transferable, to be successful in other exploits
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 11 September 2024 2:51:41 PM
If there is a shortage of eggs. Create policies that allow everyone to keep chickens whether in homes or rental accommodation. Allow people to sell their eggs rather than to have strict "food safety" rules. Lower the barriers to entry.

Governments need to be aware that productive infrastructure requires investment, if people are afraid to invest, maybe it's because of the political climate and the stability of the community.

There will always be screams from different quarters of the community, sometimes you need to ignore some of these screams for the greater good.

Lowering food safety standards could potentially increase health risks, but there are also other risks of supply shortages, etc. Empty vessels make the most noise.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 11 September 2024 3:02:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy