The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mrs Bishop and the cloth > Comments

Mrs Bishop and the cloth : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 6/9/2005

Irfan Yusuf argues Bronwyn Bishop should be doing more important things than telling Muslim women not to wear the hijab

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Should we allow schoolgirls to go to school wearing swastika armbands? If the answer is an emphatic “No!”, then why do we not make the same connection with Muslim headscarves?

Islam is not just a religion, it is a complete legal, social, dietary and religious system. The female hijab is the uniform of militant Islam and for this reason, it has serious restrictions upon it’s display in Turkey, which is arguably the most advanced and secular Muslim society.

The hijab is a yoke of female oppression inflicted upon Muslim women by Muslim men. It’s purpose is to disempower women by making women’s beauty the property of the male members of her family. As a symbol of women’s oppression, one wonders where all of our strident female Liberationists are? They might burn their bras in protest at what they see as a Western male symbol of oppression. They may call beauty pageants “cattle shows” and sneer at makeup, but when it comes to Muslim male oppression of females, they are oddly silent.

It takes somebody with the mettle of Bronwyn Bishop to do the Sisters work for them. Miss Bishop has rightly pointed out that this garb should be banned from Australian schools. Women may exist in only three states in Islamic societies (virgins, mothers and whores) but this is a value which must not be pushed upon Australian children.
Posted by redneck, Thursday, 8 September 2005 7:08:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Xena, again you are making the most sense and not because you understood my most vitriolic post against the BB bad hair plus policital life. It's not just a bra boys, and it's not, from my research, a thingy that muslim men MAKE women wear, it's a modesty, female thing that a muslim women makes the decision to wear. Which is why I will always support it. As much as I would support a big breasted 40DD woman not choosing to wear a bra, no matter how unaesthetic we all might think it is. Whilst I understand the burqa is not a (good or bad) fashion statement, it's a bit more than a teen queen, (got that tatoo and don't care what people think). It's a religious statement, a woman statement and should be respected as such. If not, let's just rip the beards/goatees off the orthodox
jews face instead. 60 years ago, that was the justification. Don't tie this one up in that Muslim men are making Muslim women do it. And at the end of the day, why is what Muslim women choosing to wear on their head even worthy of anything newsworthy considering what's going on in the bigger planet. Unless it's Muslim beating. I'd be putting my fashion/cam on George Dubya instead. Ie: what is he wearing to New Orleans? Sackcloth and ashes? And has little JH got a matching shirt?
Posted by Di, Thursday, 8 September 2005 9:49:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wrong Di. Women (not just Muslim women) who do not wear the hijab in Pakistan or Jordan, or who dare to dress in Western clothes, have acid thrown in their faces. This revolting practice is now occuring in Iraq.

Healthy, shiny hair has always been an asset to womens beauty. That womens beauty has indeed got great power can be discerned by the way in which very attractive women are described, which is often in terms of complete physical dysfunction. Supermodels and very pretty gals are often described as "stunners" or "drop dead gorgeous."

But Muslim societies are patriarchal societies where women are not so much individuals with Rights, but commodities to be bought and sold like a car or a camel. The utter disgust at the freedom and independence of western women by Muslim men can be clearly discerned by the very high incidence of rape by Muslim men in Western countries which have been stupid enough to allow Muslims to immigrate in their (formerly) peaceful communities.

One Northern Irish official once stated on TV that the civil war in Free Ireland might well have been avoided had the government forcibly integrated Catholic and Protestant schools and banned the wearing of colours that indicated tribal loyalties. The French and the Singapore governments have now gone down this road and banned the Hijab, and it is time we did the same.

It will not prevent this country from experiencing serious civil strife, Muslim rebellion, Separatism or civil war, but it will at least delay it long enough for me to live my life peacefully before our society comes apart like every other culturally divided society.
Posted by redneck, Friday, 9 September 2005 4:56:42 AM
Yes Redneck get your point about other countries but Bad Hair Bronnie was making the "defiant" issue about Australian Muslim schoolgirls, here in playgrounds and classrooms in this country, not any other muslim women.
Posted by Di, Friday, 9 September 2005 6:19:33 AM
XENA
here is a little exercise I hope you will have the sincerity to follow through on.

Please ask your muslim friends.. (male ones) if they believe the Quran is the 'eternal abiding unchanging word of Allah for all time"

Then, if u can do this without losing those friends, ask them "So surah 4.24 means man can beat women if they feel the woman are going astray ?

I can predict the responses

1/ OH.. Muslims don't do that, we love our women
2/ That's not the right translation..its 'beat them lightly'
3/ That was for 'then' not for now.

If the response is anything other than one of these, (or if it is one of them,) I'm seriously interested from a research point of view..in an anecdotal way)

So, lets give them the benefit of the doubt, and see what they come up with.

You said if I am sincere, why don't I post some stuff about Christian atrocities..and I did that.. can you now have a go at some sincerity at ur end ?

It only struck me this morning...that the Sura about 'women' does not even address them, it addresses 'men'. It proscribes how women relate and fit into 'men'. It appears not to actually address them directly.
There is nothing about what a woman can do if a 'MAN' is fooling around, only what a man can do if a woman is.

blessings :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 9 September 2005 7:28:41 AM
BD

>>"But every woman praying or prophesying with her head unveiled dishonoreth her head; for it is one and the same thing as if she were shaven. For if a woman is not veiled, let her also be shorn (bald): but if it is a shame to a woman to be shorn or shaven (bald), let her be veiled. For a man indeed ought not to have his head veiled, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man: for neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man: for this cause ought the woman to have a sign of authority on her head, because of the angels." 1st Corinthians Chapter 11 verse 5

"Let the women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as also saith the law. And if they would learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home: for it is shameful for a woman to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians Chapter 14 verse 34

"Let a woman learn in quietness with all subjection. But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have dominion over a man, but to be in quietness. For Adam was first formed, then Eve; and Adam was not beguiled, but the woman being beguiled hath fallen into transgression: but she shall be saved through her child-bearing, if they continue in faith and love and sanctification with sobriety." 1 Timothy Chapter 2 verse 11<<

You're a sad man BD
Posted by Xena, Friday, 9 September 2005 9:01:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy