The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's clean energy experiment > Comments

Australia's clean energy experiment : Comments

By Tom Biegler, published 8/7/2024

Australia's official power generation statistics make it obvious that we have no chance of meeting the clean energy needs of an all-electric fossil-fuel-free modern industrialised economy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
ttbn, you may be right with your "There is no such thing as an “all-electric fossil-fuel-free modern industrialised economy, no matter how much the arguments rage". The question is, should one simply declare it's wrong or try to prove it's wrong or demonstrate it's probably or really impossible? Fighting on all three fronts seems worthwhile. And all those possibilities require intellectual effort I'm afraid.
Posted by TomBie, Monday, 8 July 2024 5:41:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CM,

I think that was Vladimir Putin's job when he was in East Germany. There is also the claim that Germany was funding anti-nuclear activity in France.

https://www.ege.fr/sites/ege.fr/files/media_files/German_Interference_Political_Foundations.pdf

The idea might have merit, but I think that the "follow the money" explanation of One Nation a bit better, especially with all the associated environmental destruction of wind and solar.

David,

I miss Alan B's frequent mention of molten salt reactors as the answer to a myriad of problems. It's nice to see people with a bit of passion.

Regarding the clean energy experiment, I believe that the current problem relates to the fact that renewable energy tends to get generated at the same time, which tends to send the electricity diving: The idea is that all the storage is supposed to jump in and buy the cheap power, but much of the infrastructure to allow this doesn't exist, so the excess power gets curtailed. Even were the infrastructure there, wastage of 25-40% is likely, and probably more as the figure is estimated from a model.

The Australian Nuclear Association has links to mini lectures explaining the inherent problems of wind and solar.
Posted by Fester, Monday, 8 July 2024 7:15:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the 6 legged chickens that used to hang off the back fence gate at CSIRO’s Poultry Genetics on Delhi Rd behind Channel 10 Studios, Sydney are any indication - then we’re in for fun times when they start fiddling with electron flow distribution, by any method. Maybe they can devise a way to turn the ALP, LNP & Green’s politicians and senators into useable resources other than manure?
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Tuesday, 9 July 2024 1:40:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy