The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Georgia on my mind > Comments

Georgia on my mind : Comments

By Geoff Carmody, published 22/5/2024

A new, large-scale, water-cooled nuclear reactor has just come on line in Georgia, USA. It took years longer to build than initially planned.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Vogtle units 1-4 are now the largest generator in the US with nearly 5 GW output. According to Wikipedia there are 12 AP1000 reactors online or under construction and 19 more planned. If that model is supposed to be a dud somebody didn't get the memo. As we may see with Snowy 2 big projects have big problems but it could work out well in the end.

According to Albo's green manufacturing vision Australia is supposed to have all this heavy industry and value adding running on wind and solar. In contrast I think when the subsidies run out existing industries will shut down. Increasingly China will make more of our materials-supplied steel and aluminium but the emissions won't be on our books.

The renewables-are-so-cheap lobby has failed to explain why unrebated power prices have gone up 40% since 2022. Or why France has the cheapest and cleanest electricity in Europe. However I think prefabricated SMRs are the way to go for Australia not the gigawatt monsters of France and the US.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 22 May 2024 9:51:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CSIRO Report Finds Renewables Cheaper Than Nuclear
The review analysed the CSIRO and Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO)’s GenCost report against the Lazard Review and the Mineral Council of Australia (MCA)’s research into Small Modular Nuclear Reactors.

The report has these key findings:

The research confirmed that nuclear energy is up to six times more expensive than renewable energy and even on the most favourable reading for nuclear, renewables remain the cheapest form of new-build electricity.

The safe operation of nuclear power requires strong nuclear safety regulations and enforcement agencies, none of which exist in Australia. Establishing these frameworks and new bodies would take a long time and require significant government funding which would ultimately be borne by taxpayers.

Nuclear may be even higher cost than currently forecast as waste management and decommissioning of nuclear plants have been omitted by cost calculations in the relevant research available.

The economic viability of nuclear energy will further diminish as more wind, solar and battery storage enters the grid, in line with legislated targets. Put simply, nuclear plants are too heavy and too slow to compete with renewables and can’t survive on their own in Australian energy markets.
Posted by Random, Wednesday, 22 May 2024 5:48:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Random will CSIRO admit they're not always right when hydrogen power stations turn out to be duds? If by some miracle we don't have 82% renewable energy by 2030 I wonder who they will blame. So far Albo can get away with blaming Russia and Dutton for the fact we still have 60% coal fired electricity. Not a good look for a scientific institution if CSIRO stoops that low.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 22 May 2024 7:08:25 PM
There's no such thing as "renewable" ! The present "green" technology consists of absolutely no component that is actually renewable. The disposal of this renewable infrastructure is & will be an even greater problem in a few years if people don't start getting away from it & go for technology that has far less associated pollution.
Why people still believe this "renewable" nonsense in 2024 is proof of indoctrination.
Posted by Indyvidual, Wednesday, 22 May 2024 8:06:37 PM
HOW MUCH BATTERY STORAGE?

..from an edited version of the Global Warming Foundation report. Note that big batteries are 141 times as costly as LNGas storage.
Posted by Indyvidual, Wednesday, 22 May 2024 9:28:40 PM
There are some very dodgy assumptions that CSIRO makes about nuclear power, not least a service life of about a third of what might be possible. Increase the service life to real world examples and the cost estimate for nuclear would be much lower.

The joke is that for the cost of Snowy 2.0, storing a week of continuous 2.2 gigawatt supply, Australia could build nuclear supplying 2.2 gigawatts over 90% of the time for perhaps the next century.

Why isn't ANSTO doing the reports on the viability of nuclear power?
Posted by Fester, Wednesday, 22 May 2024 9:40:32 PM
Why can't people accept that there is no perpetual motion & no "renewable Energy" !
The only focus should be on frivolity generated pollution ! Curbing unnecessary The Planet would breathe a visible sigh of relief !
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 23 May 2024 4:59:45 PM
Typo above-should be 'Curbing unnecessary industries'.
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 23 May 2024 6:21:09 PM
When I first heard of Bowen's 22000 solar panels a day for 8 years
and then 90 wind turbines a month for 8 years, I stopped and thought
wheres my calculator. Didn't anybody in the public service pick
up their calculator and work out the implications ?
It works out 44 semitrailers a day have to run from coastal warehouses
to solar farms for eight years just to deliver the panels. Plus return trips.
Similar with mounting frames.
The further you look at it the worse it gets !
They just do not have a clue what a job like that entails.
They are idiots, no wonder it is running years late.

Of course all those other countries were too stupid to realise that
their nuclear power stations cost more money than they had !
Only Blackout Bowen knows better !
I know of a DC generator in Sydney that ran for 100 years.
Sydney in the earliest days had DC before AC.
Renewables means you renew them every 20 years or so.
Does painting the Harbour Bridge end to end ring any bells !
Posted by Bezza, Thursday, 23 May 2024 10:47:24 PM
Aaaahhhh. Now I understand a former Treasury public servant.
As I said they didn't even pick up a calculator to see just what
would be involved, workers accommodation, Canteen staff and kitchens
all the little bits to be done run wiring through the whole site,
concrete in the mounting frames.
How many concrete trucks needed. On and on it goes.
No wonder it is late.
Posted by Bezza, Thursday, 23 May 2024 10:57:31 PM
We have to do something quick. Keep maintaining the Coal stations
no matter if they have to be shut down to do the work to keep them going.
Order the Modular Nuclear ones. No doubt we will be on the end of a
very long queue of orders because we will order so late.
Also call for tenders for a large one or two.
At least my grandchildren will get the benefit.

Gawd we are ill served by our government and public service !
Posted by Bezza, Thursday, 23 May 2024 11:06:42 PM
Sorry me again;
We are hearing a lot about Eraring but nothing about the nearby Vales Point or indeed ex Lidells nearby Shoalhaven.
The solar panels and wind turbines planned are going to take a lot longer than the government thought.
The whole project was badly planned.
Even when completed it will not provide 100% x 100% electricity.
There is no option but for the Federal government to take it all over perhaps build a couple of large coal fired stations plus gas stations and hope we can get tenders for enough nuclear plants plus two more to reprocess the used uranium to produce more electricity plus depleted uranium for storage.
It makes me feel depressed that there is no escape from disaster.

They should never have just let Keith Alder go to Sydney's medical reactor at Lucas Heights. he had already started building the Jervis Bay power station. What a blunder to stop that project. Where would we be now if Billy McMahon had been more than just a politician.
Posted by Bezza, Friday, 24 May 2024 1:23:12 PM
Cheer up Bazz. Geoff Carmody has written an excellent piece with strong and understandable points.

The renewable energy Nirvana is a massive con and well understood by many. BS has kept the con going for a long time, but it will collapse fast when the lights go out.

South Australia plans to go 100% renewables by 2027. It was getting 71% of its energy from gas fired generation when I checked this morning. Now it is 79% from gas. Pure Fantasy.
Posted by Fester, Friday, 24 May 2024 7:21:27 PM
Well yes Fester, it will hit the fan when the lights go out and almost
certainly as thousands are starting to get into lifts to go home. and
board trains on their way home. Traffic lights will stop working.
"Why the hell is this happening they will scream"

"We told you so" will not even be heard.
If you look at the AEMO graphs it tells you when it hits the fan.
From about 5PM to 8PM every day.
Just as Mum has started cooking dinner for the family.
Boy will she be unhappy !

Note; only lift mechanics have the knowledge to get people out.
The Fire Brigade cannot do it. After an hour of sitting on the floor
in a crowded lift tempers will have frayed.
In the CBD area there may only be about 50 lift mechanics at that time
although many may have knocked off about 4PM.
It is a long walk up to the lift house above the 25th floor.
I know from enquires I made that no emergency provisions have been made.
The network controllers will probably give precedence to the CBD but
that meand suburban lifts will be off for much longer.
Will Chris Bowen get a gong for his energy work ?
Posted by Bezza, Saturday, 25 May 2024 8:18:23 PM
Why can no-one explain which components of Green technology are renewable ? Is it because there isn't anything renewable ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 26 May 2024 7:36:10 AM
BS won't keep the lights on Bazz. I enjoyed reading one of Matt Canavan's recent submissions in which he pointed out that claims made by no less than Chris Bowen suggest that nuclear power is less than half the cost of large scale solar.

"…it was interesting to see [Minister for Climate Change and Energy] Chris Bowen say $5 billion for a small-body reactor. I would agree with that figure, but for that you get 13 terawatt-hours a year. To get the same actual generation out of a solar plant, you would need 11 of the big Darlington Point solar plants. They're $450 million, so 11 comes out about the same. You're talking about the costs of nuclear and the costs of solar being basically the same, but then for the solar you've got to add on the storage. You've got to add on the local transmission. You've got to add on the interstate transmission. The lifetime is 25 years, compared to 60 years. If you look at the actual costs of solar in the system, it's about double the cost of nuclear. This is what we're not getting at the moment."

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Environment_and_Communications/Nuclearprohibitions/Report/Coalition_Senators_Dissenting_Report
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 26 May 2024 8:25:58 AM
Well Indy, they are called renewable because they have to be renewed
about every 20 years.
Posted by Bezza, Sunday, 26 May 2024 11:16:24 PM
Bezza,
So, the indoctrination continues with no hope on that front ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 28 May 2024 11:15:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy