The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Supermarkets, shopping centres and the weaponisation of planning > Comments

Supermarkets, shopping centres and the weaponisation of planning : Comments

By Ross Elliott, published 26/4/2024

The current federal inquiry into anti-competitive practices of our large supermarket chains in Australia could do well to ask how planning schemes have been mercilessly weaponised to minimise competition.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Hit the nail on the head with this one, Ross!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 26 April 2024 10:06:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unless you live in the bush (most of us don't) there are options to the supermarket “duopoly”, which many shoppers who make their own decisions, instead of whining about the people making them for them, have taken up in droves. Even in the bush, little towns have local-family-run supermarkets. In South Australia at least, big supermarkets have been blocked by townspeople.

Customers have the power; they are just too timid to use it, and would prefer Big Government to fix everything - even if it means enslaving themselves. There is a Big Price to pay for getting, even allowing, Big Government to do things that you can, and should, do for yourself.

Walk away from the Big Two. Don't wait for another government enquiry that will do nothing. Big Business helps Big Government: think Voice, think Covid, think Censorship.

The so-called enquiry had a result even before it started.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 26 April 2024 10:49:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Go to the BIG TWO, C`n W, rarely these days. Only if necessary. In the past I lived in a town in the NT where Woolworths was the only supermarket. They were expensive and dumped their, almost, out of date stuff there.
Locally, and luckily, in Adelaide, I have many good alternatives and fortunately have the time to make a supermarket circuit weekly and obtain what is needed, usually at a better then C`n W prices. Aldi I rarely visit as I consider their 1 cent "cheaper" price not worth the effort. Although, penny pincher that I am, I usually buy three items at Aldi, on the rare occasion I visit, for which I pay cash after ensuring that the total will be rounded down. More as a challenge if anything.
Posted by ateday, Friday, 26 April 2024 1:50:38 PM
Our 'Bush' IGA has prices based not on freight cost but on pure shareholder greed !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 28 April 2024 9:44:35 AM
The worst days work our local co-op did was to sell our community owned IGA to a private operator. Other than that, when the local hardware store changed hands. Was not a community focused change.

Changing tap washers and tap seats, a job for a handyman rather than a (charging like wounded bulls) millionaire plumbers.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 28 April 2024 10:04:34 AM
ateday,

You are acting in a way increasingly rare way for Australians expecting the government to look after them: you are doing something for yourself.

Aldi. You have to pack your own bags. Customers who (rightly) complain about DIY checkouts don't seem to mind Aldi's version of no service. They have been lulled by the "Aldi good, better" crap and a couple of cents off weirdo brands.

Consumers' only controls in the market are how much they spend and where they spend it. If they used that control, they could forget about Big Brother - who colludes with Big Business anyway - and be wealthier and more independent.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 28 April 2024 10:36:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy