The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Brisbane election shows us there’s not much joy chasing inner-city voters > Comments

Brisbane election shows us there’s not much joy chasing inner-city voters : Comments

By Graham Young, published 26/3/2024

The Labor Party suffered major swings against it in the outer suburban ring in the recent state Inala and Ipswich West by-elections.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Queensland, the “Golden Slipper” for back block politics. Always entertaining! …and then…the Melbourne cup.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 26 March 2024 10:28:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yup, and par for the course in almost every byelection. Mind you, I don't believe there is any joy for the major parties in inner suburbia when greens, independents and TEALS dominate.

The majors need to start listening to those who pay their salaries and bring in the changes the electorate want.

The public are years ahead of the slow and reactive major parties, who ned to catch up, starting with lifting that insane embargo on nuclear power.

Dutton who seems to have got that message and I hope will win the next election that matters.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 26 March 2024 10:56:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“Dutton who seems to have got that message and I hope will win the next election that matters“

He’s the problem China, not the answer: We need our own Donald Trump.

We nearly made it with Clive Palmer!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 26 March 2024 11:04:30 AM
A pro LNP piece from a staunch right wing commentator. I believe Queenslanders will rightly ditch Labor at the next State election, in favour of the LNP. Lets hope Mr Crisafulli makes a better fist of it than the last LNP Premier 'Hard Boiled' Newman, a radical right-winger who was a-holed after just one term, although some say Crisafulli is a disciple of Newmans. The big issues are clear, law and order, particularity youth crime, and health, can throw in others, but they are the big two.

Just on Wynnum/Manly ward a 23% primary swing against Labor, a few factors played into the result. Not the least the resignation last year of Peter Cummings long time Labor councillor (27 years I believe) and his replacement with Sara Whitmee very appreciable and hard working, but certainly no Peter Cummings as far as profile and local support was concerned. Then there was my friend "Little Buddha" Craig Moore running as an independent, Craig managed to siphon off 12% of the vote all from the ALP, Craig didn't allocate preferences. Add to that the general gentrification of the area over recent years and the Greens vote was up 5% to 15%, Greens did allocate preferences to the ALP which I assume ran out at around 85%. Have met the new Councillor Alex Givney LNP, seems a nice person. Still early days, hopefully Alex will be as receptive as the last two representatives Peter and Sara. We rely heavy on local polys for support and it has been forthcoming from the 2 ALP reps, local and state, but not so from the Federal LNP member to any great degree.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 27 March 2024 6:42:56 AM
Labor will keep swinging further right from it's middle right position now to try and capture some of the cruelest conservative voters that vote LNP eg like they did with their horrific refugee policy and The Greens can keep rolling and hopefully make a discernable useful difference. Alas I think it's been left to late and the state and the nation keeps choosing to fail by re-electing yesterdays man to do the same thing and repeat the same failed policy mistakes.
Posted by Valley Guy, Wednesday, 27 March 2024 6:29:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy