The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Michael Mann repudiates the climate emergency > Comments

Michael Mann repudiates the climate emergency : Comments

By Graham Young, published 15/2/2024

'But breathless claims of imminent climate-driven ‘human extinction’ and ‘runaway warming’ are both scientifically unsupportable and unhelpful.'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Mann won his court case as he was branded a liar and akin to a child molester which unacceptable in scientific debate. Parts of the globe can be simultaneously well above and below local average temperature as that is the nature of oscillating phenomena. The average along with sea level rise is steadily creeping up.

Whether that rise is a hockey stick or something else is less to the point than the immediate housing, energy, food and water needs of 8 bn people. The evidence seems clear that this will get more difficult. Cheap fossil fuels will become scarce, perhaps as early as 2030, so we need low carbon alternatives now. To Mann's credit he is not getting embroiled in the technology debate.
Posted by Taswegian, Thursday, 15 February 2024 8:43:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham:

When you say: "I’ve always been a “new denialist”, or if not always, since somewhere in the 90s. Manmade climate change is a fact, to the extent that emissions of CO2 created by us have some effect on the climate."

You may argue that "Manmade climate change is a fact", unfortunately there are a number of commentators on this forum who will disagree with you often because of something they saw on youtube.

Michael Mann (talking about his recent win in a deformation case against right wing commentators and his latest book) says:
"...there is urgency .... we see the urgency".
and: " '''there is agency and it is not too late to act".
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Thursday, 15 February 2024 9:52:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
First of all, he is not a climate scientist, but a geologist.

As a geologist able to study the planetological record, He would have to know that all life on planet earth was very nearly extinguished millions of years ago, when volcanoes poured CO2 into the atmosphere. And marked by a black layer in the planetological strata.

CO2 at levels over 2%, all oxygen breathing life asphyxiates. Even when oxygen levels are/were up around 51%!

It would not surprise me if he was a paid mouthpiece for the fossil fuel industry? Every "man" has his price, and will, for enough money, sex, drugs, etc. Sell his soul to the devil.

I'm not saying that is what happened here, but one cannot help but wonder.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 15 February 2024 10:51:07 AM
We have so many alternatives to fossil fuels that I'd run out of words/exceed my word limit if I listed them here. Algae that's up to 6% oil. The ex-crush material fed into fermentation tanks for the production of methane. Which scrubbed can be fed into fuel cells for the production of electricity, or passed through a catalyst, converted to liquid methanol.

Salt, drought and frost tolerant, native wisteria, a good source of ready to use after filtering, biodiesel. The ex-crush, ideal for high protein, feedlot fodder.

Then there is Nuclear/MSR thorium and PKWH prices as low or lower than 3 cents. That comes with miracle cancer cure isotopes that kills death sentence, sent home to die, cancer, without harming the healthy cells significantly.

MSR thorium allows us to do many things currently unaffordable.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 15 February 2024 11:51:05 AM
Mann was called a pedophile and a liar by people that hadn't even read his work. Regardless of what you think of Mann personally (and I am not a fan) that's beyond the pale, big names like Musk get away with it (saying he was just having a joke when he was taken to court about it) but not these guys who kept repeating it.

As to My Young's misplaced understanding of climate science, here's an actual expert, Professor Kevin Anderson, an expert in energy and climate change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdwvvZ8Wu4
Posted by Valley Guy, Friday, 16 February 2024 6:59:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy