The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don’t welcome me to my country > Comments

Don’t welcome me to my country : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 25/1/2024

The definition of racism is treating people differently on the basis of race. The result of the Voice referendum demonstrated that Australians are profoundly anti-racist.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Langton's threat of the withdrawal of smoke-polluted ‘welcoming’ ceremonies was just another one of the many lies coming from a minority of a 3% minority of the Australian population. If Australian audiences of these recently-invented interruptions to their entertainments had the backbone, they would boo these clowns off the arena.

These clowns yabber about an ‘invasion’ that never was, yet more than two centuries after our ancestors arrived, they now want to welcome us! What a load of bullsh-t. What a load of racist bullsh-t.

It's time for us to drop the “kind-hearted and generous” bit - that these jerks spit on - and teach them about real life in 21st. Century Australia.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 25 January 2024 9:09:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I went to a community hall meeting in SW Tas that began with an Acknowledgement of Country. Trouble was that no actual local indigenous people had been sighted for over 100 years and one living person who claimed to be aboriginal was actually from Torres Strait. An Acknowledgement of the Pademelons as the prior inhabitants would have been more appropriate. Same goes for airlines that do an AoC on landing. I'd kind of prefer if they focussed on aircraft maintenance not political correctness.
Posted by Taswegian, Thursday, 25 January 2024 10:22:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mostly agree, but I don't think that voicing a particular opinion can be said to be un-Australian. Freedom to express an opinion is surely part of Australian culture.

Welcome to country is a very recent outcome, that's simply claims land once lived on by this or that clan.

Much of which was traded for grog and other durables like tea, sugar, blankets and tobacco. I believe the voice should be legislated. And be done with.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 25 January 2024 10:47:59 AM
Most remembrances/celebrations are annual events with majority public support. Welcome/acknowledgement of country seems to be a part of nearly every public, sporting and business event. I don't remember this being done on the basis of either public demand or support. It even seems to be part of every program put out by the national broadcasters.

It needed to be part of the referendum. I find it a highly insulting and undemocratic practice. It wouldn't be out of place in an authoritarian regime like North Korea, yet it is a pernicious part of my daily life with a very nasty undercurrent for anyone who might call it out for what it is. Disgusting!
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 25 January 2024 11:26:47 AM
I just saw the Australia Day ceremony in Canberra on TV.
Four "aborigines" danced around chanting something.
The tall one who seemed to be the leader was as white as I am.
The rest of them were white also.
He should be careful being in the sun that long as the researcher
that developed the cure for melanoma was saying on the radio this
morning we take sun exposure too lightly these days.
Posted by Bezza, Friday, 26 January 2024 10:11:48 AM
Aborigines never ever claimed sovereignty over tribal land, just custodianship. And their mother for which they gave care. Care included mosaic cool burning Which destroyed non fire tolerant flora and fauna that couldn't run.

Hundreds of spider species eliminated along with their webs. The consequence an imbalance in the insect world and far too many flies. Lizards, frogs, Wombats, tortoises, slow Kolalas and who knows what!?

Rainforest flora eliminated along with their massive moisture aspiration and as a consequence reduced rainfall all over the joint. A land covered from coast to coast in verdant rainforest,

All proven in the undeniable fossil record which never lies or engages in traditional humbug. As nomads who wandered wherever the game took them. It's hard for any to lay claim over any part of it. More so when there are several claimants.

Burning wasn't care giving but an adjunct to hunting as the mosaic burn resulted in new green tender graze, and that is all.

Their so-called care turned a virtual treed paradise into a mostly arid desert surrounded by a narrow green coastal fringe.

Only the north which was by and large, too wet to burn survived this highly destructive "cool" burning practice.

Mr little, before you get on your high horse, let me reiterate, the undeniable fossil record doesn't lie or engage in endless humbug. That's mostly in the province of urban "blacks" looking for a million dollar pay day.

I believe DNA testing would eliminate a huge chunk of the latter who would qualify under the 25% test, which ought to be enforced when such land claims are made. Bah humbug!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 26 January 2024 10:17:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy