The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > India and Pakistan > Comments

India and Pakistan : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 16/1/2024

Deborah Nixon, a historian from Sydney's University of Technology, says relations between Muslims and Hindus started to change after the British began ruling India in 1858.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I'm unsure that the British were responsible. They brought The Westminster system of justice with them and applied without fear or favour.

It was around this time that Islam started to become more and more radicalized. And today we see the same in Hinduism. As the majority take revenge, an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth, sins and past indiscretions.

What would India and Pakistan be like today without democracy and the Westminster system? A real hellhole where life would never be sacrosanct!

Methinks the "lady" is trying to scapegoat the Brits for the failings of Pakistanis and Indians! Her own people?

India has come a long way since then. Pakistan, not so much.

Thank God for cricket!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 16 January 2024 9:25:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
…. But that's no reason why they can't be friends

Territory folks should stick together,
Territory folks should all be pals.
Cowboys dance with farmer's daughters,
Farmers dance with the ranchers' gals..

but that's no reason why they can't be friends..
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 16 January 2024 10:36:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Raj did many good things in India. Partition was not one of them. Australian fans of identity politics should take note. I can only imagine what Indians thought of non-Indians telling them where they had to live, but the violence it caused was tragic.

Cricket is now too woke and political to attract my interest, but I note that Pakistanis are still better losers than Indians.

And no, I don't think either group should be living here in the numbers they do.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 16 January 2024 11:09:51 AM
After more than a dozen trips to India over the last 15 years, and now with a daughter-in-law from Jharkhand, I was stirred to respond.

The phrase 'expect unexpected consequences' applies here, especially when you have an Empire, or a 'Company' or secular humanists, a powerful religious group, or any influential group exercising power.

Naïve ignorance of religious loyalties is possibly a factor; but perhaps the British were not ignorant on that score? And the potential new humanist leadership hoping to follow the British Raj were on the other hand quite naïve?

The pluralism in the State of India has been quite workable to a point. It's tested however when it comes to exercising real political power. So it has always been when speaking of the kingdoms of this earth.
Posted by Deputy, Tuesday, 16 January 2024 2:50:27 PM
"So how do we make a better world?"

Seriously?

There is nothing wrong with the world - does the author believe that he or anyone could do better than God?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 16 January 2024 8:46:21 PM
So how do we make a better world? Ending religion?
- The US and West needs to stop meddling in the internal affairs of other nations.
I support ethics over religion, but this is my personal preference.
But you can't force change too quickly or even expect everyone else to change just to suit you.
Especially since there isn't much ethics shown by world leaders anyway.

Iran to Pakistan : "Hey Bro, I've got those US funded terrorists who want to create this independent Baluchistan state... Can you help out?"
Pakistan : "Those bastards, we've got the same ones here in Pakistan, terrorists that are targeting Belt and Road initiative, traitors taking CIA money... Maybe I can fire some missiles at yours and you can target my US funded terrorists... I cannot target them directly otherwise those western morons will come at us and create some BS stories about genocide."
Iran : "Alright Bro, Let's do it... But let's make some show, pretend we're angry at each other"
Pakistan : "Sure... they'll be overexcited and think we're going to war with each other..."
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 18 January 2024 11:08:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy