The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Population growth – a key problem of our time > Comments

Population growth – a key problem of our time : Comments

By Ernst Schriefl, Saral Sarkar and Bruno Kern, published 5/1/2024

Figuratively speaking, the world is growing by one Germany or ten Austrias per year.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Sure, if you listen to US &/or UK RW conservate ecologists following Malthus & Galton, but humanity has managed till now, and now across the world we have fast declining fertility rates, so what's the problem?

You have presented what one finds problematic, as do many genuine environmental types & libertarians, using unspecified 'population growth' &/or 'immigration' to demand authoritarian policies for 'law and order', but masked by supposed libertarian 'freedom & liberty'?

Both a contradiction and a form of 'corrupt nativist authoritarianism' e.g. fueled by old fossil oligarchs with antipathy towards science, progress and the 21stC
Posted by Andras Smith, Thursday, 11 January 2024 12:43:44 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Andras,

I'm not clear whether your last post is in response to my post or otherwise.

In case it is:

«if you listen to US &/or UK RW conservate ecologists following Malthus & Galton»

No, I present my own thoughts.

«but humanity has managed till now»

Materially it has, and may possibly continue to manage like that for millennia ahead. My concern is of the social regimentation required to keep it going.

«and now across the world we have fast declining fertility rates, so what's the problem?»

That human population numbers have been exceedingly too high for many centuries. Fertility rates are indeed declining because the demands of civilisations on parents trying to raise children in cities are draconic, but they do not decline fast enough to bring human population numbers back to reasonable levels, that's around 100-200 million people.

«using unspecified 'population growth' &/or 'immigration' to demand authoritarian policies for 'law and order', but masked by supposed libertarian 'freedom&liberty'?»

The last thing I would advise is to have more 'law and order' and authoritarian policies, as this is the problem to begin with.
Also, I didn't mention 'immigration', and since you did, I support the free movement of people.

Isn't it obvious that freedom/liberty is not possible when population numbers are so big, that there is simply no space for it where everywhere we go we have to step on the interests of others?

«Both a contradiction and a form of 'corrupt nativist authoritarianism' e.g. fueled by old fossil oligarchs with antipathy towards science, progress and the 21stC»

Where is the contradiction?
I do not support authoritarianism of any kind.
I am not aware of any oligarchs.
I do not oppose science as such, but the social price of the technology that comes with it is too high.
Sure, ever increasing technology is a must in order to sustain high population levels, I'm not that naive to think that billions could continue to survive without it, but technology no longer serves the individual, it only serves regimes to control and mitigate the material and environmental effects of overpopulation.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 11 January 2024 3:04:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy