The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 9 things government can do to reduce your living costs > Comments

9 things government can do to reduce your living costs : Comments

By Graham Young, published 22/11/2023

The federal government is belatedly recognising that some of its economic policies are contributing to inflation

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Oh dear, some people are so easily triggered. I wasn't writing a hagiography to Abbott, merely pointing out that the period of highest per capita GDP was during his tenure.

Still I was somewhat critical of the ALP so their warriors feel compelled to leap to the defence.

OTOH, since the only critique of my point was a misunderstanding of what I was saying about Abbott, I can only assume full and furious agreement with the rest of the post.<smile>
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 23 November 2023 3:06:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WTF is lying again.

Support these figures with proof or admit you are a liar.
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 23 November 2023 3:26:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WTF?

shadowminister says: "WTF is lying again.

Support these figures with proof or admit you are a liar."

I got my Data from the Megatrends website. It is presented in table form.

http://www.macrotrends.net/countries/AUS/australia/gdp-per-capita

The World Bank also provides the same data but in graphical form and is accurate to a rounding of $0.10.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=AU

So I now expect you to withdraw your accusation of lying.

I'll help you out:

"WTF is telling the truth again.

He has supported those figures with proof and I admit he is telling the truth."
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Thursday, 23 November 2023 4:52:23 PM
WTF?

mhaze says: "my point was a misunderstanding of what I was saying about Abbott"

O.K so I'll clear things up for you to address your misunderstanding:

Abbott (and the coalition) inherited a per capita GDP of US$68,156 at the end of 2013. By end 2016 it had been reduced to US$49,877.

Poor old shadowminister then jumps in as your White Knight to make accusations of lying.

As for your other points - they are your points and I can comment, agree or disagree as I choose.

I am not entitled to a response to every post I make and neither are you.
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Thursday, 23 November 2023 6:07:12 PM
"O.K so I'll clear things up for you to address your misunderstanding:"

Not my misunderstanding. Your misunderstanding of my point.

Nowhere did I suggest that the Abbott government caused the pinnacle of our per capita GDP journey, just that it coincided with that pinnacle.

For what its worth, governments are rarely responsible for sustained increases in GDP (per capita or otherwise) and only then because they got out of the way eg Howard. Governments OTOH can and often do cause declines in per capita or overall wealth.

Still this is dragging us away from the primary issue which is that immigration is the major cause of our current inflation problems and, apart from hiking interest rates, one of the few areas where government can make a difference and get inflation under control.

Its difficult to understand why government thinks importing 600K new mouths each year is helpful or not detrimental in the current circumstances. My guess is that the uniparty continue to harbour dreams of leading a Big Australia, combined with the notion (for Labor at least) of importing a new cohort of loyal supporters.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 23 November 2023 8:55:39 PM
WTF,

So you are just accessing crappy sites. Here's data from a far more respected site showing that per capita GDP increased continually from 2013 to 2020.

http://tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp-per-capita
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 23 November 2023 10:19:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy