The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > French President Emmanuel Macron and democracy > Comments

French President Emmanuel Macron and democracy : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 5/4/2023

Australia experienced a different attack on democracy when the Governor General dismissed the elected government of Gough Whitlam.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Governments have to cut their cloth to fit their budget. That is what the French need to do, as does everyone else.

We need a similar instrument to force through some reforms such as for peaceful use nuclear (MSR thorium) power.

In the years that lie ahead getting and keeping a job/income may take precedence over retirement age for the bone-lazy French?

As for democracy, it is to quote, the worst form of government but better than all the rest. (Winston Churchill)
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 5 April 2023 11:58:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm just so tired of hearing people waffle on about Democracy ! There is no society running as a Democracy !
Minority groups from Parliamentarians, to Judiciary, to the Greens are dictating to the majority, not the other way round !
Posted by Indyvidual, Wednesday, 5 April 2023 9:37:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indy. It's even worse than you say. Preferential voting completely phucks the intention of most voters. One senator got in as a replacement with just 1-2% of the primary vote.

for mine we need primaries followed by a runoff by the two leading candidates. And the size of the electorates doubled and a man and a woman standing in every electorate and for every party contesting the seat. And here I include the senate. Preferences must be optional if at all.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 6 April 2023 10:49:32 AM
Alan B,
Yes, however I maintain that THE ONLY way to reverse the trends of gimme, gimme & it's my Right but not my responsibility bleaters, is a form of National Service. Every unemployed 18-19 year old must participate in whatever their mental & physical capacity permits. It is my view that indiscipline, lazyness & lack of sense of responsibility is THE cause of the fragmentation of society now more than ever.
Weed & Pest control would engage many young in the outdoors & instil a healthier & more responsible mentality. The rest will fall into Auto mode for betterment of mentality !
The rewards for all will be obvious within one year.
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 9 April 2023 8:08:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy