The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The compelling need for a Federal Religious Discrimination Act > Comments

The compelling need for a Federal Religious Discrimination Act : Comments

By Michael Stead, published 6/10/2022

Thorburn has been forced to resign one day after being appointed as the CEO of the Essendon Football Club on the basis of mainstream religious beliefs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All
Foxy,
I'm neither gay nor religious, I have no dog in the fight I told you this already.
So ultimately it really makes no difference to my life in any way whatsoever if they were to ban both religions and gay people.

Considering that I have reasons pertaining to my upbringing that I've never shared with anyone here of why I criticise Christianity, it would actually suit me just fine.

So when you say: "You certainly can't have it both ways."
- You've got it all wrong, I don't care about it, EITHER way.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 15 October 2022 10:53:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi AC,

Thank you for clarifying your position.
I'm just curious though if you don't care either
way - then why comment at all?

I care very much.

I was raised as a Catholic. But after hearing hatred
preached from the pulit. And having seen the damage
the church has done - I am no longer a practicing
Catholic. I cannot support a church that does
not practice what Jesus taught.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 15 October 2022 11:13:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Foxy,
Well I was never raised to be religious, but later I had religion forced upon me because of my fathers remarriage.
- And there's too much there to go into, and I'm not sure I even want to.

Instead of embracing religion, I saw through it and the people trying to impose it, and after a dysfunction adolesence I eventually became more of an ethical-oriented person rather than a religious-oriented person. (which I never really was)

If people have the right to be either gay or religious,
Then both sides just need to learn to respectfully co-exist.
- If not, ban the whole lot of them for all I care.

They don't have to like each other, and the world doesn't need to find a 'one size fits all' policy.

Bulldoze all the places of worship and religious schools with their sometimes unreasonable and hypocritical cultish-like beliefs and the questionable gay facilities with their suckatoriums, glory holes and douching rooms and be done with it.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 15 October 2022 12:35:29 PM
Hi AC,

Live and let live - as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

But to demonise anybody? No thanks.

Any way - I take people as I find them.

Again - thank you for sharing.

You may like this quote:

I'm a multi-tasker.

I can listen, ignore, and forget
All at the same time.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 15 October 2022 12:47:43 PM
Dear Foxy,

We have the New Testament to tell us what Jesus taught. From that source I think some of his words and actions are questionable.

Mark11:12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

Cursing a tree because it did not bear fruit out of season seems nutty to me.

Matthew 12:30 "Whoever is not with Me is against Me…”

I don’t want to be a follower of Jesus. However, I don’t want to be an enemy of him or his followers. However, his words make those who are not followers of Jesus an enemy. Those words are a statement of intolerance and I think have an impetus for aggressive missionizing and imposing Christianity on non-Christians where Christian rule has been applied to a non-Christian population.

Matthew 10 contains the following: [34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. [35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. [36] And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. [37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Why should there be a conflict between a religious leader and a love of family? Why can’t they both be loved without questioning who comes first?

I have read Christian apologies for the above explaining how they really mean something else. They have to be read as allegories or with hidden meanings. The words sound wrong and ugly to me.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 15 October 2022 3:24:04 PM
Dear David f.,

In all honesty I am not all that familiar with
the Bible. And I prefer to think of only the good
bits that I was taught as a child. However as I
said - I don't go to church regularly and I tend
to live in my own little bubble - where everyone
loves each other. It works for me.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 15 October 2022 6:44:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy