The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Taxing beer to subsidise champagne > Comments

Taxing beer to subsidise champagne : Comments

By Steven Schwartz, published 20/9/2022

Taxing the low-paid in order to cancel the loans of better-paid university graduates is unfair, unnecessary and unlikely to influence the courses that students choose to study.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The Australian government should definitely "not comply". Bludgers doing useless degrees instead of getting productive jobs cost far too much. Allowing any Tom, Dick or Harriet the indulgence of saying, 'when I was at uni' when they are in the dole queue or making coffee for someone else has been going on for too long, particularly for those who will never earn enough to pay of the debt of their useless 'education' - which usually entails political brainwashing. Only the elitist university factories benefit from this nonsense.

There are too many so-called educated people, and not enough with the brains and common sense to provide what the country needs.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 20 September 2022 9:15:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agree with most of this.

The elephant in the room is the much higher cost on those who due to location issues, need to live away from home to attend. And that becomes more and more unaffordable day by day. Rapid rail would remove some of those cost of living away from home, issues, the bugbear of many rural communities.

Both my kids were high achieving students. But were disadvantaged by distance! And the very modest income of their rural based parents! And consequently, both dropped out part way through. And the nation and the taxpayer lost out.

Shared accommodation not the answer given non compatible student types. And all that was on offer apart from army style barrack accommodation in shared rooms, that came with basic privacy issues.

If we would make higher education more affordable for all? We need to start with the fundamental (horse before cart) cost of energy and all that derives from that. Be it transport, housing, food price/adequate nutrition, the production of building material, rental costs/accommodation or the commute and so on!

All of which create extra demand on the tutorial staff and the cost of powering and maintaining buildings, fees and charges!

We want the most able in our universities and able to complete their degrees!

It cannot be as it is now, the most privileged, cashed up foreigners, some of whom have little or no English or those parents with the deepest pockets!

Start at the beginning if you would correct fundamental issues. Not from the back to the front in back to front thinking, which just compounds problems instead of actually addressing them.

It's the forest not the trees!

Don't just do something, stand there. Create more world class and truly affordable, online learning opportunities for disadvantaged rural and regional kids
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 20 September 2022 12:01:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Lenin
(the author)

Are you insane man?

Taxing my beer to subsidize Alan B.'s 4 liter champagne cask a day - habit!
Posted by Maverick, Tuesday, 20 September 2022 6:34:13 PM
Mad Maverick. Getting a bit personal bro. Got a burr under the saddle have we, old timer?

I don't drink, alcoholic beer wine or spirits of any kind, be they be in bottles, cans or casks.

Sugar free soft drinks, Monday to Sunday and Alcohol-free beer for special occasions or chilled when it's particularly hot. I like the taste.

That said, I don't see any connection to the topic with my preferred beverages. I've been insulted by experts and you're not one. Just small, petty and not very bright.

Better the world suspect you are a fool than open your mouth to remove all doubt.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 20 September 2022 11:10:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy