The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Wave goodbye to Aussie law > Comments

Wave goodbye to Aussie law : Comments

By Michael Bosscher, published 2/9/2005

Michael Bosscher argues our young people need to be educated about the dangers of overseas travel.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
There is more to suggest Australia could be more consistent rather than "do more" with its approach to citizens caught up in overseas criminal justice systems. If not more consistent then more transparent and up front about it is they do.

Corby seemd to get a great deal of support compared to the Bali nine. It was reported we gave her access to a couple of QCs; we have no idea what the 9 have been offered - it would seem as if Corby scored higher on the "tit to talent ratio" than the Bali nine she was - at least up until her conviction a winner.

David Hicks seems to have got not a lot - when compared to citizens of other jurisdictions.

What is if equal concern is the evaporation of the assumption of innocence in the minds of many Australians when one of ours is nabbed for drug possesion for example - if convicted it would be reasonable to leave them to the mercy of the courts - I say that with some qualification in light of some of the sentences and jail conditions - but up to that point they warrant help and support
Posted by sneekeepete, Friday, 2 September 2005 12:48:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Most of us already know being Australian doesn't protect us from the laws of other countries. As for 'educating' the ones who don't, you cannot educate 'idiots' (John Howard's description) who use or deal drugs. The Corby case alone should have been enough. After that little lesson, anyone in possession of drugs overseas deserves whatever he or she cops.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 2 September 2005 4:25:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah, Barlow and Chambers, was a movie ever made
Posted by hedgehog, Friday, 2 September 2005 4:29:23 PM
"We would not entertain foreign governments trying to interfere with criminal cases for foreign nationals arrested here."

Really? What about the case of the Australian brutally assaulted by U.S. Marines in Townsville? Under pressure from the US, the case was moved there, and they were both aquitted in questionable circumstances.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/U.S._Marines_accused_of_assaulting_Australian_freed_by_U.S._military_court

Dave
Posted by borofkin, Friday, 2 September 2005 5:00:28 PM
You must understand, borofkin, that the Americans are our very bestest friends. We have a trade agreement with them that binds us to their weird logic on patents, we are obliged to follow their Walt Disney-based rules on copyright infringement, we happily follow them into any and every military adventure they set their minds to - why should we not allow their thugs to escape our justice system too?

It always used to amuse me that wherever the US military went, they built little islands of "home" - in Germany, they even bought cars in US dollars, so they didn't have to grapple with complex matters such as exchange rates. But I have come to realise that this was one of many symptoms of their arrogant attitude towards the rest of the world, with hometown justice for the good ol' boys just another. They can't help it, it is in their nature not to think that this is unreasonable behaviour.

I like America. I've worked there, I've worked for US companies here and in Europe. But they are completely blind to anything that is remotely foreign. Which is one of many reasons why we shouldn't allow them to start wars.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 2 September 2005 5:41:55 PM
Thanks for the article Michael

How much more education do people need? Any Australian caught "using" or dealing in drugs in Indonesia deserves the brunt of the laws of that land. I will not support their egocentricity and their downright stupidity and criminal acts. We can all read. Their is no excuse for such acts.

Use and you set your own death penalty. Deal and you are setting your own death penalty and the potential deaths of others.

No sympathy from this end.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Friday, 2 September 2005 6:57:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy