The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Change NZ’s constitution this way? Give me a break > Comments

Change NZ’s constitution this way? Give me a break : Comments

By James Allan, published 23/6/2022

Then they go on to say, all still in the preface, that the reference here is to breaking 'the usual political and societal norms … [and hope their report will lead to a breakthrough for changing the constitution].'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Is there any good news?

I guess no news is good news!

I don’t read newspapers, I don’t watch tv or listen to radio, AND I don't vote!

God save the majority in NZ, (and for that matter, Au).

Dan.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 23 June 2022 7:49:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm reliably informed that "He Puapua" in Maori simply means "A Book" in English.

Another far right aggressor wanting to deny indigenous people their basic human rights. The fact is Aotearoa is the sovereign land of the Maori people. I like this bit; "It was the model that saw four electorates or constituencies specifically set aside for MÄÂÂori (sic) way back in 1867." A bit like the Nazi's holding democratic elections inside Auschwitz, to see who gets to operate the gas chambers.

Under the New Zealand Settlements Act 1863, the Waikato iwi (tribes) lost almost all their land and Ngati Haua about a third of theirs, for trying to defend their lands. But kupapa (pro-government or neutral) Maori also lost land as the yardstick rapidly changed from presumed guilt to convenience. Ngati Maniapoto territory still under Kingitanga control was untouched. In the long term, Taranaki Maori suffered most from confiscation in terms of land actually occupied. Eventually 1.3 million hectares of land was illegally confiscated from Maori people.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 23 June 2022 8:41:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good luck James . It seems there is always somebody somewhere trying to undermine democracy and people's rights and freedoms for their own gain and profit. Thank goodness there are people like you keeping an eye on things and making us aware of what is happening behind the scenes. Keeping the good things we have is a constant uphill battle but one we must accept and act on always because once they are gone ..
Posted by Freedom of choice, Thursday, 23 June 2022 8:43:47 AM
I'm surprised that James Allan would waste his time on New Zealand.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 23 June 2022 9:37:59 AM
Give me a break. Who needs all this hyperbole and hyperventilation.
let the people decide what they want not born to rule privileged extreme right wing conservatives!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 23 June 2022 11:03:06 AM
What would anyone expect from the Marxist Ardern? Something that makes sense?
Posted by Cody, Thursday, 23 June 2022 1:05:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy