The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Renewable energy or reliable energy, but not both > Comments

Renewable energy or reliable energy, but not both : Comments

By Viv Forbes, published 17/6/2022

Europeans can pretend to run a modern society with intermittent energy from windmills and sunbeams because they have life-lines.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Viv is a HE; and a very smart one. He knows what Labor will do because he remembers what they always do, unlike some posters with goldfish memories.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 19 June 2022 9:30:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Protactinium decays to Bismuth 213. Thorium spends around two weeks in the blanket of a conventional reactor to become U233. KWPH is how the yanks express kilowatts per hour and as I do.

Removing Liquid U233 from a MSR to make a bomb is extremely difficult and those who tried recently in Russia all paid for it with their lives due to the lethal mega-radiation they were exposed to!

Did the wright brothers qualify as flight engineers? Not one single pioneer in any field that was new had a formal education that discipline as a rule of thumb.

The inventor and patent holder of the first working nuclear reactor was a Chemical engineer. A degree does not mean very much given the cramming that precedes exams and the knowledge crammed soon forgotten.

A chemist is only as good as his reference text book library.

Original thinking is not conferred by a degree.

I studied medicine and qualified with honours and an average passing mark 98% that broke a seventy year old record.

Yes, it was as just a medic and conferred just a certificate. And surprised the number of young recently qualified doctors in that room.
I've always used and understand KWPH or PKWH!

And I stand by my comments about thorium as the way of the future, given thorium delivers everything fusion promised but never delivered.

People who critigue me are not concerned or my lack of formal education but just getting any expectation of any serious consideration of 1 cent PKWH thorium off of the table!

The bugs, corrosion and tritium have been ironed out, the first by adding a layer of carbon to the metal reactor surfaces and tritium is absorbed by the use of nitrate salts in the heat exchange cycle.

The 5% waste that comes with MSR technology is still useable as long life space batteries and becomes stable in around 30 years.

Thinkabit, rules are for fools! And stay in your box where you do all your thinking!?

Y'all have a nice day now y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 19 June 2022 11:39:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You can have renewable and reliable energy, it’s called Tidal.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 19 June 2022 11:41:51 AM
Add to that thermal and on a small scale a wood fired boiler driving a simple steam engine..
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 19 June 2022 12:04:24 PM
Is Mise, tidal means two peaks a day. That is the solar problem less clouds.
So the storage problem is back again.
Batteries big enough are not practical or affordable.
Even if you have them, where do you get the power to recharge them ?
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 19 June 2022 1:02:40 PM
Alan,

Protactinium 233 is produced in msrs and decays to U233 with a half life of around a month. Just because some Russian scientists failed to isolate it does not mean it isn't possible. A functional msr has lots of potential benefits as you regularly point out, but the problem is that you have onsite fuel processing which opens the possibility of using msrs to produce nuclear weapons. Pebble bed reactors offer the prospect of continuous operation over long periods without such risk. I'd like to see msrs developed, but I would not think it safe for them to be widely used, certainly not with the way the world is at present.
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 19 June 2022 1:13:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy