The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The endless repeat of history > Comments

The endless repeat of history : Comments

By Graham Young, published 26/4/2022

The rare Cassandras of the world can see exactly what is going to happen, but their curse is that most of the time no one listens to them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I enjoy a bit of Stoicism- Marcus Aurelius, Senecca- Letters to Lucilius- better than the party at the end of the world Epicurus style- or Defoe- Moll Flanders.

I think the left communists do a fair bit of book burning of their own- given that they seem to be a big fans of destroying the past in order to engineer culture.

While classical liberal arts education may constrain the material in secondary and tertiary education it's rare that they destroy books as I understand. Maybe Paul1405 can correct me on that point. I'm sure that the Catholic Church would have had a list of banned books- especially after the Reformation.

But rarely it may be necessary to ban material in order to protect the culture- like progressive Robespierre was complicit in the banning of the Marquis de Sade.

This is interesting...
http://www.waggish.org/2014/robespierre-the-incorruptible-and-the-daemonic/

Parents should have a say in the books that are made available to children in schools.

As is said "moderation in all things even moderation".
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 29 April 2022 2:47:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Krumpet CM,

Are these people personal friends of yours, Aristotle, Socrates, Hercules and now add Robespierre, or are you just a big noting nothing name dropper. What do you thing of ARSETHROTTLE and the sayings of CONFUSION? Two of my favourites.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 29 April 2022 5:19:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

I was only saying to the Queen the other day
how I hate name dropping.

(Douglas Fairbanks, Jr).
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 29 April 2022 8:31:04 PM
Canem wrote: "Parents should have a say in the books that are made available to children in schools."

I kind of agree with that. Except that I say parents should have THE say in what books their kids read. At least up to the point where the kids can make their own choices, by which time they've hopefully been educated enough to make appropriate (to them) choices.

Paul wrote: "ARSETHROTTLE"

How very clever. The kiddies in 3rd grade must consider you a real hoot.

If you read Aristotle and Plato it is possible to consider them personal friends. I suspect you won't understand that.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 30 April 2022 9:37:44 AM
Mr and Mrs Kudos along with Grandpa Old Fart in the kindy classroom.

"TEACHER! we note you have 'Noddy and Big Ears', and 'The Gumnut Babies' on the shelf, but not a single copy of the Fuhrer's 'Mein Kampf', how can you expect the children to receive a wholesome education with only unapproved trash to read. This calls for a book burning, and we're going to burn you as well..TEACH!"

mhaze, given the nonsense you post I'm sure you must read Daffy Duck comics. Do you consider Daffy a personal friend, I'm sure you do."
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 30 April 2022 12:27:59 PM
"Do you consider Daffy a personal friend, I'm sure you do."

Sadly, Paul thinks this is the height of intellectual discourse.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 30 April 2022 1:26:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy