The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia shredded all decency in the persecution of Bernard Collaery > Comments

Australia shredded all decency in the persecution of Bernard Collaery : Comments

By Susan Connelly, published 26/11/2021

Our spying against Timor-Leste and persecution of a whistleblower and his lawyer reads like a tawdry thriller that would embarrass James Bond.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Another monument to the extraordinary legal mind of Christian Porter, Anglican Hale School's carefully nurtured gift to modern Australian leadership.
Posted by Steve S, Friday, 26 November 2021 9:18:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia has done some pretty dumb things over the years, but peeing off our Indonesian neighbours by encouraging the Catholic enclave of East Timor to secede from Indonesia, was one of the dumbest. Last I heard, Australia was has been subsidising this Catholic failed state to the tune of $300 million dollars every year.

And all we ever got out of it was "refugees" who came "temporarily" to Australia and never returned. London to a brick they all went on the dole and are still on it. Which I suppose suits the aims of the Pope and this author. The Muslims like having the infidels keep them and I presume the papacy likes the idea of the Prots subsidising Catholics too.

As well as that, the only thanks we got from East Timor nothing but criticism, which makes me wonder why we didn't just let the whole lot of them stay with Indonesia? If the Pope wanted to liberate the Catholics in "East Timor" he could have sent his Swiss guards. The Indos would never have been able to stand against the Swiss with their halberds.

To compound the stupidity, a few years ago, the "East Timorese" stated fighting among themselves. The North East Timorese were fighting the South East Timorese. What a mob. I am all for them killing each other off and saving the Good Old Aussie taxpayer a lot of money.
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 26 November 2021 9:37:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was not wise for Australia to interfere in East Timor; and, as LEGO said, we have had precious little thanks for it. Now we have this woman criticising her own country on behalf of a bunch of foreigners. Isn't there a name for people like that?

Will our political class never learn! Now they are sending 116 soldiers to Samoa to protect the Samoan government from citizens who object to that government's sucking up to Communist China for money
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 26 November 2021 10:23:31 AM
This is why I'm not entirely sympathetic to Christian Porter facing unproveable rape allegations. Porter signed off on the pursuit of the Timor whistleblowers. Another politician who may have been complicit in the Timor bugging was Alexander Downer. If the knives should be out for anybody it is not Witness K and Collaery but the grubs who wanted these people hounded to make themselves look better. Perhaps some federal pollies should end up in jail.
Posted by Taswegian, Friday, 26 November 2021 10:46:33 AM
LEGO,
Nice anti-Catholic rant but you are a bit out with the Swiss Guard, halberds and swords are for ceremonial use, their other issue weapons are Sig Sauer 9mm semi-auto pistols and SIg SG 550 (or 552) selective fire rifles.
Moreover they are a highly trained and dedicated body of troops.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 26 November 2021 4:49:00 PM
The spy game is a dirty business and Bernard Collaery committed treason.
Posted by shadowminister, Saturday, 27 November 2021 3:48:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy