The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Voluntary assisted dying is an immoral act > Comments

Voluntary assisted dying is an immoral act : Comments

By Syed Atiq ul Hassan, published 22/11/2021

To end life voluntary or assisted suicide or euthanasia is legal in many countries but at the same time illegal in most countries.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
"Morality" my dear Syded Hassan, is a general consensus of what constitutes correct behaviour. In backward religious societies, like the societies you fled from, what constitutes morality may be accepted by the population as decreed by some non existent God.

In secular societies though, like the ones you immigrated into because they work better than the religious ones you fled from, morality may be based upon old religious moral values, but they are constantly under review. This is what is happening with Euthenasia. Just saying that "it is God's Law" does not cut it. You need to figure out a reasoned argument that will convince a majority that your point of view is the correct one.

If western societies just did what our non existent God's decreeed in His (or Her) written laws, we would still be executing witches and homosexuals. Which, I understand, they still do in the countries you fled from.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 23 November 2021 9:29:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes LEGO, there are some people, a few, on earth who have enough intestinal fortitude to stand up to living, without a crutch to lean on. Some don't find anything difficult in navigating life, but many others need support. It is for these people that religion was invented.

There must be a lot of these people as there have been thousands of religions invented to support them, for a price. That price is supporting financially a vast body of "priests" & the like in comfort.

The messages from those on high are varied, from turn the other cheek to behead anything not completely cowered by religious dictates. Religions are of course dictatorships, with various levels of punishment for those who don't kowtow to authority. I guess it makes life easy for followers, but I do feel sorry for those who never experienced making their own decisions on how to lead their lives.

Having said all this, I do think the Christian religion has been a force for good in the world for the last couple of centuries, christian countries do treat their citizens in a fairer way than most others, & given greater freedom to the masses at least recently. This treatment & the fairer society does appear to be diminishing as the religion looses strength, & is challenged by others less kindly.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 23 November 2021 12:39:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Lego and Has been for your great contributions. It is as you say.
I also agree with Individual: “Do-gooders opposed to it (voluntary euthanasia) should be required to tend the dying !” Even so, in my mother’s case, the medical staff attending her in this Catholic hospital could not be persuaded to help her die despite her frequent requests. I witnessed her agony for three days before they could come to a decision to put her into a coma. It took her body another three days to shut down.
The kindest, humblest, most god-fearing person I know, she did not deserve such cruel fate. God’s doing? No. Mankind’s failings to see things as they are and accept responsibility.
Posted by TinaC, Monday, 29 November 2021 1:14:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy