The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia needs to support Andrew Forrest’s energy ambitions for Papua New Guinea > Comments

Australia needs to support Andrew Forrest’s energy ambitions for Papua New Guinea : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 12/11/2021

If Papua New Guinea is to really develop economically, and the living standards of the nine million people genuinely advance, Purari offers the best hope of delivering both.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I believe we've seen this article before? And my comments made then I won't repeat. I'll have more to say on the topic of energy, later.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 12 November 2021 11:00:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Australian government should support that hydro scheme.
By the time it is ready Australia will have realised that solar and
wind will never supply 100% x 100% electricity.
We will have run out of money trying to make it work.
A connection to PNG Hydro would be a life saver for both PNG & Aus.
The rule is for reliable electricity a wide geographical area is
essential unless you have total nuclear supply.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 12 November 2021 11:11:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew Forest is not a fool. And one can understand why he would back such a project, given the cost of land, housing and energy here. I believe Twiggy might carry the load there himself with an eye on the production of hydrogen? The estuary site is almost perfect for such a project?

And housing and land costs don't reflect Australia where they have risen through the roof in a massive bubble due to burst when interest rates rise as they must, given the debt we now carry, most of it created to support recurrent spending? And by a truly asinine government propping up its election prospects and its base. Not assisted by the albatross around its neck we know as the National Party and its coal loving ("highly moral") Christian leader?

But assisted by a lacklustre labor party completely out of step with public sentiment and still maintaining a no nuclear power stance, in spite of a 57% support for the same, in the general populous.

It'll probably call an early election in view of rising unemployment rates? All while never ever telling lies to the public while in office! And we all of us believe every word and promise uttered by coal-fired Ozzie pollies, don't we!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 12 November 2021 11:40:18 AM
I think Hydrogen is going to be another fizzer like airships. They thought that was the way to go and ignored so many drawbacks. This is the same as this Hydro project when every politician is looking to stripe us and Mr Forrest too! Just because he is successful with one iron ore project does not show an infallible judgement never mind good judgement.
I just want no Government money involved. If it is so clever you blokes buy shares and take the hit yourselves.
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 12 November 2021 7:06:10 PM
Why is Jeffery Young still here ? Shouldn't he be in PNG sorting things out ? Does he admit that Whitlam's involvement up there was the root cause of their problems today as it is here ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 13 November 2021 7:40:27 AM
Australia has no obligation to support a billionaire's schemes in a foreign country. We are are stuffing up our own energy, and scandalously subbing the same billionaire in a crackpot hydrogen production scheme which will blow up in all our faces, economically and, very possibly, literally.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 13 November 2021 8:08:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy