The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > There is only one God and it’s not the Minister for Health > Comments

There is only one God and it’s not the Minister for Health : Comments

By Dave Smith, published 26/10/2021

As I read and listen to the daily news, it seems clear to me that our society has capitulated to a new form of idolatry – the worship of ‘the science’.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The scientists they want us to believe in are only the ones that suit their own beliefs - not those who are equally qualified, but who dissent from the popular fads like climate change, zero emissions and so on, and the correct way to deal with pandemics. It's not THE science; it's their own brand of science, that of the hysterical mob, and the carpetbaggers looking for a quick dollar, and total control of society.

Paradoxically, the science-worshippers - if we do this we'll be rewarded with that - follow a similar line to the cargo cultism of Stone Age PNG
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 26 October 2021 8:44:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ok David, so you claim: "There is only one God." But why should I believe you? By what system/standard do you propose that I assess the truth of this claim?

Furthermore, from reading your article it is evident that you really don't understand what science is. All science is, is a description of stuff that can be detected/observed (either directly by our senses or indirectly by a device) and descriptions of how these things interrelate/affect each other. That's it! That's what science is!

But what is important to note, in respect to your article, that:
- Science, itself, doesn't tell/command you to do anything,
- Science doesn't make any statements about what is a legal action or what is a "good" action or what is a "holy" action.

Statements about moral actions or holy actions and commands to act in such and such a way are political/moral/religious/legal/etc. They are not statements of science.

-- continued below (an expanded explanation about what science is) --
Posted by thinkabit, Tuesday, 26 October 2021 9:10:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A truly IDIOTIC article.

Science is not being worshipped; it is being utilised to predict the consequences of our actions.

The claim that physical meeting is a "sacred duty" more important than that is reminiscent of those who criticised Jesus for healing people on the Sabbath.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 26 October 2021 9:17:44 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
More details on what qualifies as a statement of science. A statement is scientific if it is a description about the real world where:
- it is understandable what are the things are that the descriptions are referring to. And the overall meaning of any description is also well understood
- the descriptions match what is actually observed by the person making the observations
- the act of the observation could theoretically be repeated by others and the results of their observation are free to be stated (where by "free to be stated" I mean that people making observations won't try to prevent others from making observations nor try to suppress the publication of their results)
- they can potentially be falsified
- any measuring devices used are well defined (ie: their purpose, their action and their method of use are well understood) and utilized properly

Also it should be mentioned that there are a handful initial foundational assumed truths that the science rests upon. Eg: that objects can be sensibly and consistently described in the first place. Besides its initial assumptions, science doesn't make any claims about things that cannot be observed/detected.

For example, the following statements are scientific:
- today my lawn is green. It is scientific because: firstly most will agree on what "today", "lawn" and "green" mean, secondly this is something that I'm currently directly observing, next others can theoretically look at my lawn and are free to make their observations known, and lastly it can be potentiallhy falsified (ie: it is possible to image a hypothetical alternative world where is could be brown, black, purple, whatever.)

- the current temperature where I am is 22 degrees Celsius. It is scientific for similar reasons to the example above, except here I've used a thermometer in the process of making the observation. Where a thermometer is a well understood measuring tool for temperature.

-- more below --
Posted by thinkabit, Tuesday, 26 October 2021 9:23:50 AM
-- from above --

- when something is stationary, in a Newtonian frame of reference, and is released and allowed to free-fall in a vacuum at the Earth's surface it will accelerate downwards at 10m/s^2 (to one significant digit). Indeed any acceleration of any object in free fall in a vacuum near Earth (say within 20,000km) at non-relativistic speeds will accelerate in proportion to Mass of object x Mass of Earth / (square of the distance between the center of the Earth and the center of mass of the object).
This is a scientific description. But unlike the above examples it is more than just a simple description of something but further a description of how two objects are interrelated/affect each other.

Here are examples of descriptions that ARE NOT scientific:
- God exists. It's not scientific because there's no common understanding of what "God" means.

- The universe exists. Is not scientific description that can be made, because logically it can't be falsified. You can't falsify it because you are part of the universe so if it didn't exist then you wouldn't exist so you can't then possibly image a world where it couldn't exist. However, it should be noted that the statement "The universe exists" is actually one of the initial assumed truths of science that it rests upon.

- I have a awareness of my inner thoughts and my physical existence (ie, I've a consciousness). Is not a scientific statement because others cannot make this observation about me.

- It is wrong to kill people. Its not a scientific statement because the notion of "wrong" is not something that you can measure/observe.
Posted by thinkabit, Tuesday, 26 October 2021 9:28:38 AM
We are currently struggling through 'the science' of covid...what a disaster...
'The science' is backing the creation of the oh so lucrative covid industry - who is making the killing out of this industry created out of thin air, around a virus which it was known from the beginning isn't a threat to most people?
Billions of 'vaccine' doses, setting the entire global population up for a lifetime of injecting with dodgy 'leaky vaccines'; PCR tests, masks, all the paraphernalia being set up for the surveillance industry on the back of this virus - QR codes, facial recognition, tracking...on and on...
And there's no questioning allowed of the dogmatic church of 'the science', which has the 'peer-reviewed literature' to record it's holy writ, and any heretics must be shut down.
'The science' is a disaster...
Posted by ElizabethHart, Tuesday, 26 October 2021 1:16:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy