The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The importance of American military might to Australia and the Asia-Pacific > Comments

The importance of American military might to Australia and the Asia-Pacific : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 23/9/2021

Australia is not alone with its need for US military support as many nations are increasingly wary of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) which openly expresses its nationalist desire to dominate the international economy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
My recollection;
"This is the Chinese Navy. The foreign aircraft must depart this area immediately !
For failure to comply you will be responsible for the consequences." (in an aggressive tone of voice)
The reply by both US and Australian ships & aircraft seem to be
identical eg.
"This is a US Air Force aircraft (or similar) I am in international
waters(or airspace) on a legal passage."
Interesting that the tone is manner of factual. Not high pitched etc.

Obviously the two US & Aus are careful of the evidence they leave behind.
The Chinese are openly aggressive and leave a deniable suggestion of action to follow if you do not comply.
This leaves it open for them to attack an aircraft or ship and say
you were warned, while being able to say we didn't threaten with attack.
A classic both way bet.
Note tracking with a missile radar is a direct threat as I understand it.
However it becomes risky when say a German or other ship is challemged.
What is the quality of the Chinese German speach.
The commander of a German ship may misunderstand and fire in
response to a perceived threat.
EU naval ships probably, but I have not heard them, respond like US.
The new UK aircraft carrier is/was due to pass through the Sth China Sea.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 4 October 2021 10:38:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz and Shadowminister

Well, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this issue. Appreciate the respectful tone, Bazz ... Shadowminister still has a way to go! I am not a shill for anyone. I’m anglo-Australian. I’ve never been to China and I’ve had no direct personal contact with any Chinese people. Not that I need to justify myself to you or to anyone else. I’ve already done it once on this site which should be more than enough. Many well-educated and eminent Australians are likewise concerned at the Sinophobia in this country and the provocative and dangerous talking-up of war with China. And BTW, every time you resort to personal attack, you just further destroy the credibility of the points you’re attempting to make. Your argument should stand on its own merits without being propped up by insult.

The US is certainly not demilitarising in the Indo Pacific ... not sure where that flight of fancy came from. Perhaps you could provide some evidence. Yes, the US has shut down some bases ... in Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia ... but definitely not in the Indo-Pacific. They already have around 400 military bases surrounding China and plan to build more on a number of Pacific islands and now with AUKUS will expand their military arsenal on Australian soil. They’re artificially reclaiming land on Okinawa and despite strong local opposition continue to impose a massive military base on a country which until recently had a widely-supported pacifist foreign policy. China is not without friends. In fact it has far more friends than enemies. Western countries comprise 12% of the world’s population. Very few of the remaining 88% have any real issue with China.

Your fear and loathing of all things Chinese is hateful and irrational. You’ve been brainwashed by US intelligence and the mainstream media which parrots the line intelligence feeds to it with very little application of any decent critique and analysis. You need to start reading some independent media and work on developing a more nuanced and balanced view of the world.
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 6 October 2021 12:53:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bronwyn,

You are entitled to your opinions but the facts disagree with them.

China friends don't include:
India,
Japan,
Philipines,
Malaysia,
Vietnam
Thailand,
Indonesia,
Brunei.

The US closed its Clark base in the Philipines.
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 7 October 2021 10:02:03 AM
I think a lot of neighbours are not necessarily against the decline of a Western superpower, but they fear more the rise of authoritarian China.

Even Singapore, which sits on the fence, have a fear of what China would do to undermine the present rules of international trade as most know that China is more mercantile than the alternative.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 10 October 2021 9:58:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy