The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How low can Western media go > Comments

How low can Western media go : Comments

By Teck Lim, published 19/8/2021

For the last four years, readers of media newspapers and websites in the US, Britain, Australia and their allies - especially after Trump's presidential victory in 2016 - have been the targets of a concerted move to demonize China.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
China is the demon, apparently this author hasn’t noticed.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 19 August 2021 8:56:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
China demonises itself. China is a demon. China doesn't need the Western media to bring attention to its gross unpleasantness. If anything,
the Western media is too soft on China. China is the West's greatest enemy.

It is impossible to be too critical of totalitarian China and its dreadful Communist government, and truly horrible president. And, how about the CCP media, Lim Teck Ghee, you Beijing stooge?
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 19 August 2021 9:03:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'"putting tens of thousands of children in government-run training schools", exposing them to health and mental stress risks and of funnelling these young athletes into "less prominent sports that Beijing hopes to dominate."'

That was the first accusation.

'Beijing's focus has been on sports that can be perfected with rote routines, rather than those that involve an unpredictable interplay of multiple athletes'

That was the second accusation.

.In three pages of whinging and abusive invective towards critics I never saw a clear statement of denial of either accusation.

That simply left me wondering ... Why not? Are they true?
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 19 August 2021 9:44:52 AM
Sorry, disagree. China has done all the demonising by itself without help from the western media. Who by and large have just reported the facts and the shameful actions of a dictatorial regime.

That's not that some of the right-wing rags haven't been even-handed, or less than complimentary!

But China, not the western media, own the outcome for the Wigas, Hong Kong and the annexation of the sovereign territory of other nations/the militarisation of the Southern China sea, etc, etc.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 19 August 2021 10:06:19 AM
The author asks: "So what's likely to feature next in the western media's xenophobic China bashing?"

I was going to say.."Uighurs".

But then I realised that the woke left both here and in the west in general are trying very hard to not notice that genocide.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 19 August 2021 10:28:57 AM
Two hundred and Eighty-five gold medals were awarded in the Tokyo Olympics so one assumes, give or take a few six hundred and fifty five medals were awarded.

The Americans won 113. That is 17% of the medals. There are 333 million Americans.

We won 65. That is almost 10% of the medals.There are 24 million Australians.

T#here are 7.9 billion people in the world.

We did exceptionally well, by comparison, but buggar the bloody Kiwis ... with only 5 million and 20 medals.

But overall I watched great performances by great athletes from across the world and revelled in the individual achievements and individual performances of all. Of course I'm proud of my fellow Australians success but nationalism is my focus.

I'd respectfully suggest you could focus on the success of each individuals' performance rather than 'beating the drum' of nationalistic success ... like we in the west do. That would present you and China in a better light.

Obviously you will now understand why ... China has not done quite so well but the efforts and successes of its individual sports people were grand ... whether they won medals or not.
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 19 August 2021 10:33:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy