The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's outstanding athletics performance at the 2021 Olympic Games > Comments

Australia's outstanding athletics performance at the 2021 Olympic Games : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 9/8/2021

At face value in terms of medals won, Australia's performance in athletics pales in comparison to other Olympic Games (OG) sports.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thanks, interesting summary. Athletics is so much harder to win, you've got so many nations in the mix, whereas the water sports where we usually excel are more the province of a smaller number of rich or developed nations. Cycling is similar, although UCI has made efforts to broaden the mix.

Moloney - just maybe the evangelical McDermott - struck me as the two young athletes who could go all the way. Bol and McSweyn, I'm less convinced. It was a great meet, first one I've missed since 1996, hope I'm there in 2024.
Posted by Steve S, Monday, 9 August 2021 7:34:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia has one of the highest species extinction rates in the world. The money spent on the training and coaching of a few elite athletes so Australia can brag about Olympic medals might be better spent in preserving species or almost anything else. The number of Olympic medals is a measure of misdirected resources.
Posted by david f, Monday, 9 August 2021 9:35:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thankfully the Moronic Games are over.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 9 August 2021 10:32:23 AM
They did us proud and indeed lifted the mental well-being of all who are currently locked down. Moreover, gave us role model examples of what can be achieved by those with two very important and strong muscles. The one beating in your chest and the other between the ears!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 9 August 2021 10:53:00 AM
I admire all of them, those who medalled, & those went out in a heat. It takes a great deal of effort to make it to the top in anything, & all Olympians made it in at least their country.

As usual it was water events, swimming, sailing, rowing & now canoeing were where our best excelled. Our equestrians did us proud as usual, & some of the new sports were ours.

In some of our old favorites we have slipped, so much that they didn't even make the TV coverage, which is a pity. There was a bit too much soccer, hockey, basket ball & other team stuff for me, but it may have suited others.

I hope these champions can come down to normal life. I knew a few of the golden girls era ladies, a mates sister was a medalist on the track, & we mixed with some of them. Many did not handle the end of their fame all that well, I hope our latest can do it.

As for the games themselves, it is a pity we were the only ones silly enough to want them in 32. I can only wonder how many Schools, Hospitals & other infrastructure will not be built in Qld.,with the money wasted on them.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 9 August 2021 5:25:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy