The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia must focus on the people of PNG, not the government of PNG! > Comments

Australia must focus on the people of PNG, not the government of PNG! : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 23/7/2021

The objective should be to give the people of Daru – upwards of 15,000 – the same level of basic services that are enjoyed by the people of Thursday Island and the Torres Strait, including the islands closest to Daru and Papua New Guinea.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I would prefer that that the Australian government took more interest in the people of Australia. As far as PNG goes, it was doomed from the time it was wrongly assumed that it could govern itself.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 23 July 2021 9:14:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NG has a lot of bad memories for too many people.

Politically, it is a lost cause, and sadly shows up the inability of backward native tribes to govern themselves. Doomed to fail, which it pretty much has.

There has developed a myth that the fuzzy wuzzy angel was always a willing participant in our desperate fight with Japan.
They were too often unreliable paid participants in this battle, and too often only worked for us when under threat of punishment.

NG is a land where the mercenary spirit has always been happy.
The stupid of handing this prize over to the instability of ignorance, as Australia did, after such sacrifices it made in the past, to retain it, is beyond short sighted.

Now the time has come for the reaping of the this crop.
Once Japan, now China. We’ve given the enemy a leg up to achieve strategic dominance, simply by writing cheques.

How can we compete with this war of donations now?

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 23 July 2021 3:43:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Must!? I see no must! Or giving the nanny teat to any group of cargo cult humbugers! I agree with ttbn, these folk are just too divided as primitive tribes to unite and begin to self govern.

It's not as if they didn't have sufficient resources! Just lack unity!

Throwing money down a black hole is a recipe for economic disaster! If they want true independence? Then they need to self govern and adopt modernity, starting with nuclear power,i.e., MSR thorium. And given this extremely cheap power that can be airlifted anywhere as ready to roll modules.

Energy that cheap would start a journey and economic expansion that we would soon be extending the begging bowl to them!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 July 2021 3:47:51 PM
Onya ttbn.

The government of Australia's job is to look after the people of Australia. PNG wanted independence and now they want dependence. They can go forth and multiply. However, if they wish to become a colony of Australia again I have no objections. Failing that, the Indos can have them.
Posted by LEGO, Saturday, 24 July 2021 7:48:12 PM
I knew the manager of the power house on Samurai Island, A local engineer from the Port Moresby area. It was his wife, an ex Australian missionary nurse who actually ran the place.

Then there was the day I was in Rabaul & the lights went out. One of the local duty engineers decided to do an oil change on one of one of the big Blackstone diesel generators, while it was running. Rolling blackouts for weeks.

That was just a few weeks before independence. They had been replacing expat engineers & managers for some time, since self government. The results of these replacements gave a pretty good idea of the future with the coming independence.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 24 July 2021 10:33:49 PM
Reminds of the story I heard about when the French warplane maker Dassault sold a bunch of Mirage 111 fighter jets to Libya. One Dassault engineer claimed he saw a Libyan ground crewman in Libya checking the fuel level in a Mirage 111 with a match.
Posted by LEGO, Sunday, 25 July 2021 8:44:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy