The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Making the Olympic Games truly global, fairer and cheaper to run > Comments

Making the Olympic Games truly global, fairer and cheaper to run : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 21/7/2021

The second reason is that some national leaders, namely those in countries where the government is not accountable to voters or taxpayers, seek to demonstrate political and economic power.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Olympic games are an absurdity at anytime; holding them at the present time is lunacy.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 21 July 2021 9:25:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Should be relocated on a permanent basis to their ancestral home, Greece.
Supported financially by the countries that wish to participate and as a side benefit helping the Greek economy.
Keeps costs down and prevents this egotistical race by individual countries to be better than others.
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 21 July 2021 9:48:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OG are now a TV event

2 permanent sites used alternately for each sport .

different countries spread around the world .

remove the the present Olympic governance and rejig a new system

after the Sydney games NSW had to subsidize the sites to the tune of 250 million over 5 years
Posted by ben gershon, Wednesday, 21 July 2021 7:46:49 PM
I have a great idea. Instead of taxpayers funding this farce with the IOC acting like corrupt potentates, why nor just tell the sporting organisations to fund it themselves? Then we would not have to put up with this charade every four years.

My sports are hunting and fishing. But I do not expect the taxpayer to fund my sports at all. As a matter of fact, the fishing organisations in NSW, who should have known better, agreed with the NSW government to introduce fishing licenses.

Nor do hunters and fishers have some "Olympic games" where they get jetted around the world and live in luxury with their food provided in order to shave a microsecond off some bloody "world record."
Posted by LEGO, Thursday, 22 July 2021 5:33:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy