The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Barty’s embrace > Comments

Barty’s embrace : Comments

By Andris Heks, published 12/7/2021

Yes, giving up is no longer an option for Barty. Having rolled over brilliant Gerber in the semi-final, she was not going to be a wilting flower.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All
Andries.

No, I didn’t say “people” I said blacks.

So in your fluffy world of imagination with little contact with the black reality, it’s ok to describe people as black when referring to “black lives matter”, but when someone such as myself, who has been saturated with blacks most of his life, refer to them as blacks, I’m the boogie man.
I didn’t once hear the word racist used against me, that’s refreshing.

SR.
Toughen up son!

Aidan.
I’m beginning to wonder about you.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 12 July 2021 12:39:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"What's the difference between being part black and, shock horror, part white" .... is not the same as 'what's the difference between black and white', the difference being the word 'part'.

Mixed raced people often enthuse about the black part, no matter how small, but overlook the white part, no matter how large. Ashamed of the white part, are they? Not surprising, I suppose, given the ravings of self-hating white renegades continually polluting the internet with their garbage.

Write what you like, but do try to accurately take in what others actually say. I know that's a lot to expect from an ABC hack, but you could try? Perhaps not.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 12 July 2021 1:09:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some 'part-Aborigines' are not extremely proud of their white ancestry as they often raped, enslaved and otherwise abused and then abanboned the black women who bore their now mixed offsprings. Whether those with mixed heritage wish to identify one way or another is their business.
Posted by Andris, Monday, 12 July 2021 1:37:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Andris,

The same goes for my grandkids. Not all of them
want to identify with their ancestors - of Lithuanian,
Russian and other mixes. They want to fit in and
consider themselves as "true blue" Aussies. Whatever
that means. Hopefully they will grow out of this as
they're still quite young. I guess that often happens
to many children growing up in this country. They don't
acknowledge their roots until they're older. And then
it becomes a process of discovery - and exciting for them.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 12 July 2021 2:05:47 PM
Yes Foxy.
I came from Hungary as a teenager and bec. I thought I could never return because of communism there,I tried to assimilate here and discard my Hungarian roots.
This only lead to depression. Eventually I acknowledged that I was a hybrid and without also valuing and nurturing my native heritage I could only be impoverished. So integration not assimilation seems to me the noble Aussie way. Unity in diversity. What I believe a non-negotiable Aussie ideal is a 'fair go'. But beyond that, lets celebrate our rich diversity and be a truly United Nation.
Posted by Andris, Monday, 12 July 2021 3:21:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Andris,

I totally agree. And Bravo for saying that!
We have more that unites us than what divides
us - my parents fled from the Stalin terror
so I understand your position. They too
were expected to assimilate when they came to
this country. I was born here - but because of
my "foreign" name - I've also had some less positive
experiences. Not a "fair go" at times. However
integration is the key.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 12 July 2021 6:49:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All