The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The consequences for Australia of low vaccination rates in PNG and the Pacific > Comments

The consequences for Australia of low vaccination rates in PNG and the Pacific : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 5/7/2021

There seems to be an air of total unreality in the federal government, and especially in DFAT, when it comes to how the governments of our regional neighbours are responding to the virus, testing and vaccination.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Author says "Papua New Guinea risks being effectively isolated for years. The economic and social consequences of that for PNG, and for Australia, will be absolutely catastrophic."
Why so? natural immunity amongst a mostly young population should be much better than here with so many people over 80 years old? A population furthermore much hardier than the average obese Australian?
Is the author just climbing on the hysterical, lets panic, squeal and behave like sniveling cowards? You know, all you bed-wetters hiding under your beds crying "We are all going to die" that sort of thing.
What he hopes to gain has me puzzled though?
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 5 July 2021 11:22:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with the author. The situation in PNG and our other Pacific neighbours should be given high priority. Instead of focusing on keeping a family of four isolated in Perth for no good reason, the energy of this Slomo Government [if it possesses any], should be to help our neighbours. Where are the PM's Christian beliefs when it comes down to actually doing anything to help our neighbours?
Posted by Cyclone, Monday, 5 July 2021 12:24:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! Consequences for us? We will need to put an iron ring across the Torres Straight! Other than that? There's SFA we can do!

Even though the average Papuan is more intelligent and a better listener than the average bumbling Ozzie pollie? He/she is just as recalcitrant?

This is one border, that needs to be slammed shut and remain closed except for those with a conditional, fully vaccinated passport!

Other than that? Any government service benefit or amenity must remain off-limits to all, save those who have a document that proves, they're fully vaccinated! Moreover, all foreign aid must also have such a condition handcuffed to it! And for the entire Pacific!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 5 July 2021 4:27:16 PM
Alan B, nice to see you. Why do you have such a fear of this covid virus? I was challenged by a friend about the mortal straits that Brazil, India and Indonesia find themselves in. I checked and there were a lot of people who died, mostly I would suggest elderly and with other sickness but nothing relative to those countries populations.
Why have we elevated a common virus to super human status? All this nonsense and a treatment that is on its first outing as opposed to the Hydroxy and Invermectin that were successful and are still being used?
Four years ago I had a Hydroxy scrip as I was going to Vietnam and the Government medico's suggested that as a malarial prophylaxis but then mysteriously and overnight made it illegal?
More hysterical panic but why?
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 5 July 2021 6:53:18 PM
for no good reason,
Cyclone,
There is, you just don't understand !
Posted by individual, Monday, 5 July 2021 7:13:02 PM
Dear JBowyer,

What a completely ignorant statement from you.

Brazil suffered drops in iron ore production due to Covid ravaging their mining workers. This has been greatly to Australia's advantage because of the "Miners in Australia were relatively unaffected by Covid-19 due to effective measures adopted by the Australian Government while a speedy recovery in China led to a significant 10.4% increase in the country’s iron ore output." says the mining sector.
http://www.mining-technology.com/comment/iron-ore-production-covid/

Both employed strong lockdown measures.

So unless you are now going to contend that Brazilian miners are exclusively taken from the ranks of the elderly your argument is garbage. Not the first time is it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 5 July 2021 7:41:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy