The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Book review: Farmers or Hunter-gatherers? The Dark Emu Debate rigorously critiques Bruce Pascoe's argument > Comments

Book review: Farmers or Hunter-gatherers? The Dark Emu Debate rigorously critiques Bruce Pascoe's argument : Comments

By Christine Nicholls, published 15/6/2021

For many Australians, Pascoe's book is a 'must-read', speaking truth to power. For such readers, Dark Emu seems a breakthrough text. Not so, in Sutton and Walshe's estimation. Nor mine.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Thinkabit, I think you've pretty well summed it up from where I sit.

Some of my ancestors were Tasmanian aborigines. And the stories told me from Grandma's knee, told a very different story of survival of the original inhabitants. So, much of what's claimed by the (semi-white) historical revisionists is humbug?

It's a whitewash (oops, Blackwash) that excludes the violent tribal wars, the wife hunting, the normalised degree of domestic abuse, the widespread sexual abuse of minors, the colour coded infanticide, and vicious head hunting cannibalism and the homosexual orgies dressed up as secret men's business/initiation ceremonies.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 15 June 2021 12:51:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Alan B.,

I read somewhere that "To try to defeat or
explain away an irrational supposition, especially
when it is firmly held by its proponents with
rational explanations is virtually impossible."

Still I believe in diversity, especially diversity
of thought. Although it can get quite upsetting
if it becomes in the form of personal attacks.

As far as the Indigenous and settler experiences
are concerned? I guess there are those who strive
to resist and to retain pride in the colonial story.
While others who see the need to synthesise the
Indigenous and settler experience. I personally
want to read both versions and hopefully learn
from them. I think it's a debate worth having.
Certainly if we can learn more about each other
and do it respectfully.

Once again, Thank You for your concern and advice.
It was what I needed.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 1:30:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn quote; "which should be burned (Dark Emu) and forgotten about." The last great book burning was in NAZI Germany, easy to see where YOU come from.

Hi Foxy,

Don't take the personal attacks from the Neo-Nazi seriously. He is totally convinced, like several others on the Forum, of the superiority of the white race.

I've placed a hold on the book with the Library but with limited copies and a high number of requests I may wait some time. With 'Dark Emu' BCL had 50 copies, this book at the moment 1 copy (more coming I hope) and already 14 holds.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 6:11:15 PM
If you go back and look at the debate on these pages back in 2019 as regards Pascoe's book, you'll find people like Foxy, Paul and others declaring that the book proved aboriginals were agriculturists and farmers who weren't nomadic at all. Indeed they declared that the thought that they were hunter-gathers and not farmers just like Europeans was racist and beyond the pale.

Now, we find Foxy et al declaring that the aboriginals were indeed hunter-gathers, but very good hunter-gathers. Well at least its a step in the right direction for those with lesser understanding of history, although I suspect its more about believing the last thing one reads.

Yes, the aboriginals were very good hunter-gathers.....just like all other hunter-gather cultures. Any hunter-gather society that wasn't good at what it did would go out the backdoor in a big hurry and be lost to history. So being very good hunter-gathers doesn't make them exceptional, just standard.

I loved this part of the article...." this willingness to accept Pascoe's argument reveals a systemic area of failure in the Australian education system.". Given that Foxy, Paul et al fell for Pascoe's arguments (for what they're worth) shows that the education failure goes back a long way.

I'd also point out that the article talks about the Sturt diaries and the narratives of William Buckley as evidence that Pascoe was wrong AND that Pascoe distorted sources to fool those who wanted to be fooled. Back in that discussion in 2019 I tried very hard to get people like Foxy and Paul to read the Sturt diaries and the Buckley papers by providing links and extracts. But they assiduously and judiciously refused to do so on the basis, in my view, that they didn't want to see anything that muddy the pretty picture Pascoe had provided them. Its good to see Sutton wasn't so blinkered.
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 6:22:30 PM
When I was young at school the Atlas of Australia had Tasmania "stuck by plastic to Australian map.

Bruce Pasco's book relates to nothing I was taught in History at school.

Am pleased his book - including claims - has now been debunked as "rubbish".
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 15 June 2021 9:53:46 PM
Foxy and Paul 1403

I have researched Aboriginal history for many, many years.

Please once you read "dark emu", then continue to research the "correct History".

I then implore you both to conduct your own research.

No judgement - but Aussies deserve the truth - not "unverified facts".

We weren't born yesterday.
Posted by SAINTS, Wednesday, 16 June 2021 12:01:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy